Ansel(Realtek) USB wireless driver SOLVED

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trefall

Ansel(Realtek) USB wireless driver SOLVED

Post by trefall »

I've got a major fiasco going on with my wife's HP laptop. It's the problematic DV6 series that has the defective motherboard (solder joint, some say). Anyway, I'm trying to install a USB wireless adapter so she has wireless again. Problem is as follows -
I show no wireless option in the 'network tools'. I set up the wireless manually but it still doesn't show as an option. The usb is an Ansel (only here in Mexico apparently). It seems to actually be a Realtek. I bought the card for price but also because it was the only one that said it supported Linux. All the drivers on the disk are for Windows. I download the Linux 'driver' from their website and apparently I have to compile it or something(downloads as a tarball). I've used three different sites on how to do what supposedly needs to be done so I can install it. Nothing works. Another Windows laptop recognizes the card but neither Mint machine does. Any help is greatly appreciated.
*****Forgot a question*****
The driver has a 'MakeFile' - file in it. It looks like code. Do I copy and paste that file into Terminal? Not gonna do it without asking just in case.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leit

Re: Ansel(Realtek) USB wireless driver

Post by Leit »

most software comes with a "README" and/or "INSTALL" document where's described how to install it.
but normally it's possible with
->
untar the archive
go in the new directory

Code: Select all

make -j <number of your processor-cores>
sudo make install
if it's a kernel module (it must be a kernel module in your case, cause it's for hardware) you also have to run:

depmod -a
modprobe <modulename>
then reboot your session and try again.

greetings Leit
trefall

Post by trefall »

Leit,
Thanks for the reply. On the make -j It's an AMD Turion duo. What's the syntax? Do I need processor chip speeds and all that too?
trefall

Post by trefall »

The company sent me a Powerpoint for installation which I thought was great. Unfortunately it doesn't work. Although I think (though may be wrong) it could be because it's written for Fedora.
(2) step2: make 8712 USB driver module
> make
(3) step3: clean the operation environment
> ./clean
(4) step4: insert 8712 USB modules
> insmod 8712u.ko
Can anyone explain the changes I need to make to the syntax for Mint, PLEASE?
The 'make' works. The './clean' gives me nothing but errors" 'XXXXXXXXXX' does not exist in proc/modules"
I got to the 'insmod 8712u.ko' once but it just locked the computer up at the Mint emblem with the five dots below.
As always any help is appreciated.
ps -
These are the following steps.
(5) step5: enable wlan0 interface
> ifconfig wlan0 up
(6) step6: setup IP address
> ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.100
When I tried the ifconfig the first time it said 'Device not Found'
*************they also suggest disabling the 'Network Manager'. What's that in Mint? 'Network Tools'? If so, How do I disable or do I have to uninstall it then reinstall afterward?
trefall

Post by trefall »

I don't understand how or why but, under 'Hardware Drivers' I've got a 'rtl871x Wireless Lan driver' activated. It's written by Linux Mint. Where does that install so I can install it in my ndiswrapper? I don't know when or how it install but I don't think it had anything to do with the tarball I tried to install, since it's from Mint. If somehow it's already installed how do I configure the rtl871x driver?
As always any help is appreciated.
Leit

Post by Leit »

the presentation you got uses standard-commands.
the ./clean is a script from the software-"vendor"

oh i forgot on my first post -> depmod -a and modprobe both need to be run as root.
so if your driver module is rtl871x, tr

sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe rtl871x
The './clean' gives me nothing but errors" 'XXXXXXXXXX' does not exist in proc/modules"
proc/modules are the current running modules, if it isn't there it isn't running... and there we are again with modprobe^^

greetings, Leit
trefall

Post by trefall »

I've got 8712u.ko, 8712u.mod.c, 8712u.mod.o, autoconf_rtl8712_usb_linux.h, modules.order, Module.symvers - Those are the only files that mention mod. I've still got a folder called 'driver'. I'm not sure where the module I need to install is. I can't find the rtl871x driver made by mint either. Thanks again.
*****Note - Giving up on this one. Post is abandoned. I've tried five more sites for instructions and none of them work. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the driver. Or I just don't know which files to use. For Mexican users I wouldn't suggest Ansel gear.

Return to “Hardware Support”