MSI WInd temperature problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brendan

MSI WInd temperature problem

Post by brendan »

Hi all,
I have a MSI Wind netbook (L1350D model, 2GB DDR III RAM, Intel AtomN455) and I have just installed Mint system. But I have a problem - my netbook has a big temperature (bigger than it was on Windows). My touchpad is too hot as well as a space near it.
How can I solve this problem and with what it's connected?
Thank you in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: MSI WInd temperature problem

Post by xenopeek »

Which version of Linux Mint did you install? Version 11 unfortunately has an issue in the upstream kernel with power usage (it is not as conservative with power as previous version). A lot of work is being done to correct this power regression in the kernel, and it will eventually come to your system. But perhaps you would be better server by Linux Mint 10, which has the older kernel without this power regression.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please upgrade your BIOS if you aren't using the newest version. It may solve your problems (or solve them partially). You could also try to boot with the pcie_aspm=force argument.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I have 11 version. But if I rebuild kernel with some parameters or install an older version of kernel, will it work?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I don't know if rebuilding the kernel will work, but installing the 2.6.37 may help. I have done that and the computer did not overheat anymore.

Here's the tutorial on installing kernels: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185
Here's the actual kernel: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 7.6-natty/

In the Grub boot menu, you can boot this kernel by selecting Older Linux versions. You can also set it as default in Startup Manager in the menu.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Thanks a lot. :)

And how can I update BIOS from Linux system?
Sorry if this question has been already discussed.

Return to “Hardware Support”