[Solved] Mint and Drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
precisiontech

[Solved] Mint and Drivers

Post by precisiontech »

I just built a new PC. I'm new to the Linux side. I'm running Mint as the sole OS. After some minor tweaking of the BIOS, everything inside the box and all peripherals seem to be working perfectly. The system is doing everything I need it to do. Do I still need to install all these driver CDs that came with the MB, monitor, printer, router, etc?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint and Drivers

Post by xenopeek »

No you don't. Those CDs are only needed on Windows. The Linux kernel developers have programmed the support for most hardware right into the kernel--the core of the operating system.

If you could open Terminal from the Menu, and post the output of running the following command, that will show us your hardware configuration and if you might want to install any additional drivers (for example, for improved 3D performance with graphics card):

Code: Select all

inxi -F
You can also check in Menu -> Control Center -> Additional Drivers, if Linux itself has some suggestions for drivers. (Do not install those without checking here I suggest.)

If you have a motherboard with Intel chipset and Intel processor with integrated graphics, you are lucky and won't need any additional drivers. Intel directly supports Linux by contributing to the Linux kernel the software needed as drivers for its hardware offerings.
precisiontech

Post by precisiontech »

I am running a motherboard with an Intel chipset and i5 2500 CPU. I'm not running any graphic intensive software or games so I don't have any plans for adding a graphics card.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then you have a system like mine, and I don't expect you will need any additional drivers. Ain't Linux great :wink:

Return to “Hardware Support”