A++++ for Mint!

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

A++++ for Mint!

Postby Nathan P on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:00 am

Just switched from Sabayon (used only for a brief stint, compiling everything from source was just too time consuming for me...) and all I can say is wow. I'm working on getting KDE 4 RC2 onto it as I prefer KDE but this Gnome stuff ain't too bad (can't say the same for ubuntu or the gnome I found in Fedora when I first started with linux, yuck!) The green look is much nicer than ubuntu and everything just WORKS. I used to be really into PCLinuxOS but 2007 doesn't support half of my laptop's hardware and frankly I like Debian based (okay, Ubuntu based but that's even better from a being up to date standpoint) distro's better. Apt-get FTW! But why I'm really here is the hardware support. I tried three or four distros and this detected the hardware right off the bat, configured my screen properly and my sound and wifi (Intel A/G/N 4965) even seems to be working (it detects networks at least, signal here is a bit weak so it seemed to be taking along time to connect but they're there). Everything just WORKS out of the box, and your support for the NVidia drivers is awesome, my 8600GT card is a pain in that respect with some distros.

Thank you LinuxMint!

Nathan

BTW your motto is great :D
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: A++++ for Mint!

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am

Welcome to Mint Nathan P
Would you recommend any 8600 card for Mint?
I ask since the question came up in the forum
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby belovedmonster on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 am

Keep an eye out for the KDE version of Mint coming soon 8)
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Nathan P on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Cool on the KDE version, I'll definitely keep an eye out. Any ideas for the timeframe? I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and get KDE 4 running on my own... If it's gonna be out in like a week or two then no lol

I don't know on the 8600 version, I have the 256 MB GDDR3 8600GT that came in my Asus G1S-A1 laptop. YMMV but I had no problems turning on hardware acceleration or Compiz.
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:57 pm

The second beta of the KDE version will be out any day now, and then its like a week or two before the final version ships. But the second beta will most likely be stable enough to run anyways, certainly for a week or two.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mumbo719 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Welome to the forum and to Mint Nathan.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Tomas on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:41 am

I pretty much had the same experience as Nathan, everything just works.

I switched from Debian Stable where my eth0 timed out all the time.
Known issue with the nForce chipset apparently.
It was fixed in one of the latest kernel releases, but I didn't want to wait for that to hit the Debian stable repositories.
Solution was to install Linux Mint.

Even compiz worked out of the box on my Nvidia 8800 GTS card :D

I'm recommending Linux Mint for everyone who wants Linux for Desktop use.

The only thing that didn't work straight out of the box was my Logitech MX1000, but no distro has ever got that working for me.
I have found a solution that works for me where most of the buttons are working and posted the solution elsewhere in this forum.
Tomas
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support