Which netbook is fully compatible with mint 11

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Which netbook is fully compatible with mint 11

Post by flanna »

I'm going to buy a new netbook for a non technical friend. It doesn't have to be the latest model. I want it to run mint 11.

Can anyone tell me exactly which make and model is known to run mint 11 with no issues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Which netbook is fully compatible with mint 11

Post by rich_roast »

I can't guarantee that it will work flawlessly with Linux Mint but my Asus EEEPC 1001PXD installed and runs Peppermint straight out of the box with no special configuration required.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

My older Acer Aspire One D250 will run any distro I have tried (including all versions of Mint 8, 9, 10, and 11) with no problems.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

All the Asus Eee I work with, 1001P, 701 and 901 work well with Mint 10 and Mint 11. The 1001P need the driver for the wireless to work with Mint 9 LTS.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Most netbooks will work fine with most mainstream Linux distros, although I'd stay away from eMachines as they'll use anything to lower the price, which may include WinComponents, that only work with Windows. Any brand name netbook should be fine. One area you may find issues with is the network driver, but the Ubuntu base is rather good at detecting that and offering you a suitable driver, even if it's closed source. Ubuntu have a hardware page which lists brands, models and compatibility with various Ubuntu releases. The url escapes me for now but Google knows.
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Which netbook is fully compatible with mint 11 [SOLVED]

Post by flanna »

Thanks folks.
I tried to get an Acer Aspire One, but none in stock locally. So, I'm getting an Asus Eee 1001PXD. I think it will run mint 11 with no problems.

Return to “Hardware Support”