How to install WiFi driver ? BCM4318 wifi card [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tadaska

How to install WiFi driver ? BCM4318 wifi card [SOLVED]

Post by tadaska »

Hi everyone,

I have Dell Inspiron 1500 with Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForceOne 54g] 802.11g WiFi card in it and I have only Wifi internet (no access to a router).

Installed Mint 11 without connecting to the internet but now wifi isn't working, tried a few things I googled up on this and other forums but nothing worked, either it just doesn't work or winds up with an error message :(

The way I understand I just need to download the right driver and install it through Terminal but I just haven't been able to do it successfully :evil:

Can you please help me make that laptop's wifi work?

BTW I'm totally new to Linux so plz go easy!

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to install WiFi driver ? BCM4318 wifi card

Post by remoulder »

Take a look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 18#p482339 and the included links to see if it helps any.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

tadaska wrote:Hi everyone,

I have Dell Inspiron 1500 with Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForceOne 54g] 802.11g WiFi card in it and I have only Wifi internet (no access to a router).

Installed Mint 11 without connecting to the internet but now wifi isn't working, tried a few things I googled up on this and other forums but nothing worked, either it just doesn't work or winds up with an error message :(

The way I understand I just need to download the right driver and install it through Terminal but I just haven't been able to do it successfully :evil:

Can you please help me make that laptop's wifi work?

BTW I'm totally new to Linux so plz go easy!

Thanks in advance!
Hi tadaska,

Welcome to Linux Mint. The easiest way to install your needed drivers is to go to Menu > Control Center >Hardware>Addition Drivers. you will have to have an internet connection so find a wired connection. Follow the prompts when the Driver box comes up. and it should install and configure your wireless card for you.
after it's finished reboot. should be working , then you'll have to set up network manager to connect to your network.

if that does not work let me know and will walk you through the manual install.

Cheers,
Dave
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Indeed, getting the B43 driver from Additional Drivers is the easiest way.
Please don't use the STA driver when Additional Drivers offers it: it doesn't work on the 4318.
If installing through Additional Drivers doesn't work, you can install it by running this command in the "terminal" (type the command and press Enter):

Code: Select all

apt install firmware-b43-installer
You'll be prompted for your password. The password will be invisible when you type it (this is a constant source of confusion for people new to Linux).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tadaska

Post by tadaska »

OK I managed to get the laptop connected to the Internet through my PC by making my PC's WNC as shared then reinstalled the Mint and then did this:

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer

then disconnected LAN and rebooted. I had a message saying there is WIFI available but still can't work out how to connect (did the same on ubuntu and it worked and was able to use internet, but I like Mint better :) )

how do I get it connected now?

btw Additional Drivers window is just empty and says "no proprietary drivers in use on this system" if thats of any significance.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You have to click the networking icon in the tray, and then click the network you want to connect to.
tadaska

Post by tadaska »

lol that simple :oops: was trying to do it through control centre....

thanks for all replies guys, it's all working now
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to install WiFi driver ? BCM4318 wifi card [SOLVED]

Post by AlbertP »

Indeed, you're not the first person confusing this.

If you read an old book about Linux you may also be told to use Control Center > Network. But nowadays it's much easier.
tkowinski

Post by tkowinski »

I have had the same problem with my friend's Dell Inspiron 1300 and I used your steps and was able to get the wireless card too see my private network, but even after I enter my WPA key it cannot get connected (fyi... I have 3 other computers that are connected wireless to the same network.
Any ideas?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please open a new topic, as this is one is marked [SOLVED]. And tell which Broadcom card you're using, and which driver you installed:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
lspci -nn | grep 14e4

Return to “Hardware Support”