USB Barcode Scanners

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
datavirtue

USB Barcode Scanners

Post by datavirtue »

I have read some discussions about the problems with bar-code scanners by following Google searches. This is a serious problem. I'm very excited to discover Mint, but somewhat disappointed that it is based on Ubuntu since that is what I'm trying to escape. Being a derivative of Ubuntu it is plagued with the embarrassing problem of not supporting a basic keyboard emulating bar-code scanner. I have tried commenting the blacklist entry in the blacklist.conf to no avail. Is there a solution to this problem? I'm not trying to be an inflammatory prick, but this has been the problem with Linux distros for years. Everything looks great until you try to do something. As I understand it, these actually did work at one time. confused?! Businesses brought PC ubiquity to the world and they can also bring Linux ubiquity to the world as well, but not if we cant plug in a bar-code scanner and a Star printer and start working. Now I'm off to figure out the Star TSP100 problems and play with filters. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: USB Barcode Scanners

Post by richyrich »

Don't know if it will work for you, but It is current, has a support forum, and a quick browse through the Recommendations reads promising. Worth a look ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zbar/

I have seen an older version of zbar available for installation in my Package Manager, but I'm running Mint 9.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can use PS/2 barcode scanners with Mint. However, USB ones should also work when they're emulating a keyboard and work without needing a driver on Windows.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

Hi, I use a cuecat USB barcode scanner with Linux Mint and it works without having to do any setup. You can get them for pretty cheap on ebay.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

andersau, you are replying to a two year old topic. The message above you by nathan000 is spam, so does not deserve a reply; the other posts are from 2011.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Hardware Support”