HP G42 overheating like crazy

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

HP G42 overheating like crazy

Post by Stosskraft »

Ok I am in a new situation. I have a HP G42 as my personal computer, and I am running linux mint 11... I do love it but it does get hot to the point of discomfort and I have to use a large fan pointed at the lap top.

Now the crazy part is my new job just gave me vertially the same laptop (Compaq version) with a small harddrive running windows 7. It has been great to compare WIN 7 to mint and I must say that 7 has come a long way from the vista crap. Or course I love my mint set up, but using the laptops I have come to some conclusions:

1. The windows laptop almost never gets hot.. the mint one is really really hot...even touching the mouse pad is alarming.
2. the battery last at least 40% longer with windows..and I tried this with both batteries on both machines.

In all other respects I prefer mint...but using 2 very similar laptops (and hardware) my linux pc is on the verge of frying itself.

It has an ATI Redeao 4200 HDMI video card.

Any suggestions please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: HP G42 overheating like crazy

Post by xenopeek »

The kernel used with Linux Mint 11 has a power regression in the code, that causes it to not be as conservative with power use as previous kernel versions. This warning is in the release notes. For Linux Mint 11 they are at http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya.php, and it also directs you to read the Ubuntu 11.04 release notes (as it is based on that). From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/Re ... nux_kernel you can see to expect 10% to 30% increase in power consumption in laptops (and thus reduced battery life and increased heat).

This is well known and heavily documented and investigated at Phoronix. There is a patch available however, for kernel 3.2, and it will likely be included default in the next kernel. Details: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... tion&num=1. Linux Mint however uses the 2.6.38 kernel versions, so that doesn't help you. Switching to Linux Mint 12 and manually patching your kernel might be an option (you will have to compile your kernel).

Another alternative is to force your CPU to use a lower operating frequency. This will save power (and heat, and battery life) also. Add the CPU Frequency Monitor (or something like that) to the panel (right-click it, select add to panel) and you can set the frequency or power conservation method there. You need to add one for each core on your CPU BTW.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Sorry that I disagree with you, Vincent, in this case it's not the power regessions (maybe to a lesser extent) with the newer kernels.

In my experience (had an quite similar Asus with integrated HD3200, AMD CPU and chipset), the latest AMD Catalyst driver (11.11) will solve the heating. It includes drivers for the chipset, the low power states of both cpu and integrated graphics and usually installs like a charm. Give it a go! -> AMD
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
Stosskraft
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Stosskraft »

ej64 wrote:Sorry that I disagree with you, Vincent, in this case it's not the power regessions (maybe to a lesser extent) with the newer kernels.

In my experience (had an quite similar Asus with integrated HD3200, AMD CPU and chipset), the latest AMD Catalyst driver (11.11) will solve the heating. It includes drivers for the chipset, the low power states of both cpu and integrated graphics and usually installs like a charm. Give it a go! -> AMD
Sorry can you tell me how to do that? I am willing to try anything.
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Stosskraft wrote:Sorry can you tell me how to do that? I am willing to try anything.
Well, usually I'm helpful ... but at that point I have to say: if you're not able to install the catalyst driver on your own (AMD provides some links with a lot of reading and howtos) then I think it might be too dangerous to tell you some simple commands that engage deeply into the system ...

Sorry, no offence meant. :roll:
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

Return to “Hardware Support”