System Requirements Mint 12? Dual Boot?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coover

System Requirements Mint 12? Dual Boot?

Post by coover »

I was pleasantly surprised after downloading Mint 12 and running the live DVD, and have decided to run it on one of my computers (I have 6). Some of my computers are rather old and I would like to use it on one of those, but I'm concerned that they won't properly run the OS. So, my question"

What are the system requirements for Mint 12? Are they different for the CD and the DVD versions? The 32 bit and the 64 bit versions?

And is there any problem setting up a dual boot on an XP machine? A Win 7 machine?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: System Requirements Mint 12? Dual Boot?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

System requirements for Mint 12:
System requirements:

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port
CD and DVD have the same requirements.

The only real problem with setting up a dual boot with any Windows OS is the possibility of corrupting the Windows installation when the partition is resized to accommodate Mint. This can be minimized by cleaning, defragging and compacting the Windows OS before operating on the partition.

In Vista and Windows 7, the Disk Management Utility includes a partition resizing tool that is less likely to harm the Windows OS than Gparted or the partitioner in the Mint installer.

Unfortunately, XP does not have this function. To resize an XP partition, your best course is to use Gparted from either the Mint live media or a stand alone Gparted disk/ flash drive, then, before continuing with the Mint installation, boot into XP to check for proper operation.
coover

Re: System Requirements Mint 12? Dual Boot?

Post by coover »

Sorry for the slow response. I really do appreciate your answer. Mint 12 will be placed on my "travel" laptop, dual boot with XP.

Return to “Hardware Support”