pcmcia

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

pcmcia

Postby big cat on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:28 pm

just installed mint on my dell latitude c-400. It will not recognize my pcmcia nor my serial port. :? As a side not it worked on Ubuntu, but i like mint better 8)
When i go to the hardware manager it says that it is there, but it still does not see anything i plug into it.
As a try i pluged a 2g flash drive into it and it does nothing, but the system sees it when i plug it into the main usb slot on the pc itself.
any ideas??
big cat

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: pcmcia

Postby bradodo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 pm

to bring up a pcmcia card that has been found you could try this (using a terminal with root priviliges):

sudo pccardctl insert

This should bring it to life, to stop a pcmcia card try:

sudo pccardctl eject

You can remove your pcmcia card now! If this still doesn't work try:

sudo lspci -l

should list devices, or try '-n' or '-m' instead of the '-l' after lspci (i.e: sudo lspci -n) . Look through the output and see if you can find your device (should be model & vendor details).
I use these commands for my wireless pcmcia card to insert and eject when required.
Hope this helps!
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby big cat on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 am

i got this:
joe@joe-laptop:~$ sudo lspci -m
00:00.0 "Host bridge" "Intel Corporation" "82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge" -r04 "" ""
00:02.0 "VGA compatible controller" "Intel Corporation" "82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]" -r04 "Dell" "Unknown device 00c8"
00:02.1 "Display controller" "Intel Corporation" "82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]" "Dell" "Unknown device 00c8"
00:1d.0 "USB Controller" "Intel Corporation" "82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1" -r02 "Intel Corporation" "Latitude C640"
00:1e.0 "PCI bridge" "Intel Corporation" "82801 Mobile PCI Bridge" -r42 "" ""
00:1f.0 "ISA bridge" "Intel Corporation" "82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC)" -r02 "" ""
00:1f.1 "IDE interface" "Intel Corporation" "82801CAM IDE U100 Controller" -r02 -p8a "Intel Corporation" "Latitude C640"
00:1f.5 "Multimedia audio controller" "Intel Corporation" "82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller" -r02 "Cirrus Logic" "Crystal WMD Audio Codec"
00:1f.6 "Modem" "Intel Corporation" "82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller" -r02 "PCTel Inc" "Dell Inspiron 2100 internal modem"
02:00.0 "Ethernet controller" "3Com Corporation" "3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]" -r78 "Dell" "Unknown device 00c8"
02:01.0 "CardBus bridge" "Texas Instruments" "PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller" -r02 "Dell" "Unknown device 00c8"
02:03.0 "Network controller" "Broadcom Corporation" "BCM4311 [AirForce 54g] 802.11a/b/g PCI Express Transceiver" -r02 "Dell" "Unknown device 0005"
03:00.0 "USB Controller" "VIA Technologies, Inc." "VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller" -r61 "VIA Technologies, Inc." "VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller"
03:00.1 "USB Controller" "VIA Technologies, Inc." "VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller" -r61 "VIA Technologies, Inc." "VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller"
03:00.2 "USB Controller" "VIA Technologies, Inc." "USB 2.0" -r63 -p20 "VIA Technologies, Inc." "USB 2.0"
03:00.3 "FireWire (IEEE 1394)" "VIA Technologies, Inc." "IEEE 1394 Host Controller" -r46 -p10 "" ""

i tried the insert command and it did nothing,
i also got this:
lspci: invalid option -- l
Usage: lspci [<switches>]

-v Be verbose
-n Show numeric ID's
-nn Show both textual and numeric ID's (names & numbers)
-b Bus-centric view (PCI addresses and IRQ's instead of those seen by the CPU)
-x Show hex-dump of the standard portion of config space
-xxx Show hex-dump of the whole config space (dangerous; root only)
-xxxx Show hex-dump of the 4096-byte extended config space (root only)
-s [[[[<domain>]:]<bus>]:][<slot>][.[<func>]] Show only devices in selected slots
-d [<vendor>]:[<device>] Show only selected devices
-t Show bus tree
-m Produce machine-readable output
-i <file> Use specified ID database instead of /usr/share/misc/pci.ids.gz
-D Always show domain numbers
-M Enable `bus mapping' mode (dangerous; root only)
-P <dir> Use specified directory instead of /proc/bus/pci
-H <mode> Use direct hardware access (<mode> = 1 or 2)
-F <file> Read configuration data from given file
-G Enable PCI access debugging

I think that mint sees the card, but i don't understand why when i plug something in it doesn't see it.
big cat

Postby bradodo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am

sorry big cat, about the 'sudo lspci -l' command, '-l' is not a valid option :oops:
I'm pretty sure that pcmcia slots are hot pluggable, and should just 'fire up' when you plug a card in.
Just to clarify, was the 2GB flash drive you tried (re: first post) a flash memory stick (SD, CF. MMC, etc) attachd to a card bus adaptor (32bit or 16bit PC card)?
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bradodo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:03 am

I should have also asked before, if the output of 'lspci -m' (re: second post by big cat) was done when you had the flash memory adapter in the pcmcia slot, sorry if this seems stupid but I don't want to assume ..... the 'unknown device' remark at the end of the 02:01.0 "CardBus bridge" "Texas Instruments" line makes me think that it's having a problem reading the flash card, maybe something to do with mounting the flash card? ..... I'm not sure how a volume is mounted via pcmcia or if it even needs mounting.... I'm going to go and check it out... :)
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bradodo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:26 am

bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 am

i will try that other link tonight when i get home...
the flash memory is a stick, and is a scan disk. It works in the normal usb on the side of the laptop. And yes you would think the pcmcia would just work, it just worked when i had ubuntu.
I also have a very old ipod that uses fire wire, that is also on that pcmcia card i have. It also did not work, it charged, but never came up on the computer, mint doesn't see either peice.
As a side note both worked on Ubuntu.

Postby bradodo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 pm

hi guest (big cat?), what version of Ubuntu were you using that worked with these devices, if possible it would be great to let me know what version and if the kernel was updated on Ubuntu (and number of updated version). I think some people have reported similar things when they updated their kernel past a certain version.... I'm also assuming by 'Scan disk' you mean 'SanDisk' (manufacturer name)?
iPod's should mount no worries with default mint set up ..... very strange.... and probably very annoying for you! Does the iPod work using firewire to the laptop?
if you have any other pcmcia cards/attachable devices give them a go, if nothing is working at least we can narrow it down to a possible issue with pcmcia working with your hardware :?
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby big cat on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 am

thanks for your time bradodo.
I was using ubuntu 7.1. Which worked ok, but mint recognizes my wireless card, and downloaded the appropriate driver on it's own.
Anyway ubuntu 7.1 with the pcmcia worked like a champ. It saw my ipod, which is so old that i can only use a fire wire :shock: . It mounted and i was able to see all the songs on there. And i have no other way to hook up the pod so i have no way to tell if this problem is issolated. However since my sandisk... spell check that one, works perfectly on the onboard usb, i would assume there is some sort of problem with mint not seeing past the pcmcia.
As a note i did not try the pcmcia before i updated my version, which is darina. Should i reinstall, and try the pcmcia card before i update?
big cat

Postby bradodo on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 pm

hi big cat, not sure if trying it before updating will help, and you probably will want the ability to update your system/kernel in the future if it does work. I'm still trying to nut this problem out. The link below, although not directly helpful, does point out that there may be something about Ubuntu 7.10's handling of pcmcia & flash memory that could be different (config files maybe?):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=42445

Note: The posts have a strange timeline!
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bradodo on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:44 pm

I've just been checking and comparing config files (/etc/pcmcia, hotplug, udev and such like) between mint and Ubuntu 7.10 ... so far there is no difference at all that I can see :( ... I'm still on the case though.
Anyone else out there in Mintland having the same problem? please post your experiences if you are... or if you have not had any problems with flash memory via PCMCIA it would be good to hear from you as well!
bradodo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby big cat on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:24 am

well i thought that it was just mint, but i reinstalled ubuntu 7.1 and i have the same problem. :(
The wireless card works now, so that's good, but for whatever reason, the pcmcia slot is not going through. Ubuntu sees that there is a card in there, but nothing connected to it.
I will try to get another card, or see if my card works on another machine.
big cat

Postby cmiller1257 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 pm

Sorry to get into the conversation late....BUT

I am having a similar problem. I have an older Dell laptop that I would like to use on the road that has no on-board ethernet. I have used a 3Com 3c3fem556c combo card to connect with while on the road.

As a former PCLOS user, I was dismayed that this card (indeed my entire pccard bus) quit working after an upgrade.
I then moved to the Zenwalk Slackware derivative as I needed this work on the road (especially as I would also like to use wi-fi with this slot). While the pccard slot continues to work flawlessly, after a recent Zen upgrade, my system no longer suspends. Kinda makes having a laptop futile.

I initially moved to Zenwalk as I could not get any Mandriva or Ubuntu derivative to recognize or initialize this card. The funny thing is ALL Slack derivatives see it and load it at start up.

When I was a PCLOS user, many there were excited about Mint (and I share that excitement as I believe it is the coolest Ubuntu/Debian distro out there) however, I cannot get this card to initialize.

After utilizing some of the above suggestions using pccardctl, I CAN get the system to see the card but, ONCE AGAIN, it will not initialize.

While I understand that there are some problems that have been identified with the TI controllers, it is difficult for me to understand how it works with the same kernel under Slack, but not under any other distro.

If the Mint community could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated as I would love to move to this disto!

C
cmiller1257
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmiller1257 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:16 pm

cmiller1257 wrote:Sorry to get into the conversation late....BUT

I am having a similar problem. I have an older Dell laptop that I would like to use on the road that has no on-board ethernet. I have used a 3Com 3c3fem556c combo card to connect with while on the road.

As a former PCLOS user, I was dismayed that this card (indeed my entire pccard bus) quit working after an upgrade.
I then moved to the Zenwalk Slackware derivative as I needed this work on the road (especially as I would also like to use wi-fi with this slot). While the pccard slot continues to work flawlessly, after a recent Zen upgrade, my system no longer suspends. Kinda makes having a laptop futile.

I initially moved to Zenwalk as I could not get any Mandriva or Ubuntu derivative to recognize or initialize this card. The funny thing is ALL Slack derivatives see it and load it at start up.

When I was a PCLOS user, many there were excited about Mint (and I share that excitement as I believe it is the coolest Ubuntu/Debian distro out there) however, I cannot get this card to initialize.

After utilizing some of the above suggestions using pccardctl, I CAN get the system to see the card but, ONCE AGAIN, it will not initialize.

While I understand that there are some problems that have been identified with the TI controllers, it is difficult for me to understand how it works with the same kernel under Slack, but not under any other distro.

If the Mint community could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated as I would love to move to this disto!

C

bump....anyone?
Husse...notice you are online....can you help with this?
Thanks in advance
C
cmiller1257
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support