Mint 12 Microphone problem (on webcam)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 12 Microphone problem (on webcam)

Postby sarahlizz3 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am

I have a Logitech webcam with a microphone built in. I finally got the webcam video portion working, but still cannot get the audio to work properly.

So, here's where it gets weird, I can record in Audacity and it works, but if I try to use the microphone for anything else (basic sound recorder, Gchat, etc) there is no sound at all.

I've gone into the volume control and alsamixer and made sure nothing was muted (and that record volume was up). I installed pavucontrol and checked the sound settings that way.

Here is the output of arecord --list devices:
Code: Select all
sarah@sarahlinuxmint ~ $ arecord --list-devices
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 2: U0x46d0x81b [USB Device 0x46d:0x81b], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1

So it does appear to be finding the USB audio (as Audacity working would also suggest). Any ideas?
sarahlizz3
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 12 Microphone problem (on webcam)

Postby dubsides on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Is this on 64 bit?

I had major issues with an old logitech quickcam pro for notebooks screwing up pulse pretty badly. Hadn't thought about it cause I left in plugged in in all previous versions of mint and had no problems.

Now gnome nor cinnamon won't load if it's plugged in. But works fine with it unplugged.

Anyway for your situation, from what I remember, you need to have pavucontrol open when you start whatever new program you want to record from the mic, and when you start recording in the app, go to the recording tab in pavucontrol and select the input to monitor, and a drop down menu should pop up and you should be able to select your camera.

You can also try unplugging and plugging the camera back in, I have to do that frequently...
dubsides
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sarahlizz3 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The webcam is: Logitech C310 HD 720p USB Webcam

I'm on 64 bit, Mint 12

I tried opening pavucontrol before the sound recorder, like you suggest, but no go - the drop down just shows analog line in, as it did before. The recording still doesn't register any input. The camera is working fine, so it's not the actual webcam, it's just not registering the sound in anything but audacity (which makes me think it's definitely not a hardware problem, but a Mint problem).
sarahlizz3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DigiDaemon on Sun May 06, 2012 12:05 am

I know this is going to sound VERY weird but try this.

Install Camorama, turn on Camorama, then try to use your mic.

I had the exact same situation and just discovered that by turning on the cam I could talk again through the mic.

Let me know how it works out. Oh there is a bug report on this already.
DigiDaemon
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support