reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby andrewwest on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 am

Hi

Is there a reccomended PC for Mint? What i mean is does mint like particular graphics cards, audio cards or chip sets etc etc?

I'm thinking of getting a new base unit just for Mint and don't want to come accross loads of problems on instal (not that i probably would!! :lol: )

Thanx

Andy
andrewwest

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby belovedmonster on Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:51 am

Just avoid ATI graphics and Lexmark printers. Everything else should be OK. From my experience you only really need to worry about laptop hardware not working.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:47 am

I would avoid Toshiba just because they are so Microsoft centric. Some models you will have problems with, especially laptops, others are ok.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint SORTED!

Postby andywest on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 pm

I managed to get my old Dell PC up and running with a new 160Gig SATA HDD todat and have re installed Mint. Everything is up and running and all i need to do is sort out the printer - again and get the scanner working. Saved myself a good few hundred quid not having to purchase a new PC. Mine is a 3 Ghz jobby with 1Gig of Ram so plenty to run Mint.

SUPERB!

Cheers

Andy
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support