PC Not recognising CD drive?? solved

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

PC Not recognising CD drive?? solved

Postby andywest on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi

I managed to get a 1 year old DELL PC working as the old HD failed. I bought a new SATA 160Gig HD and installed to in the PC. I Loded the Mint disk and insalled Mint without any problems. However when checking my 'computer' by clicking on the computer pic top left it shows just 2 drives, The 1st is CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive, the other is Filesystem.

I have 1x CD Rom fitted to the PC and a DVDRW fitted as a 2nd drive. When i click on the DVDRW drive i get 'Unable to mount Media' Warning window. It also says 'There is probably no media in the drive'....so i put a disc into the DVDRW drive and it says the same thing. I click on eject in the drop down menu (right click) and it says the same error message again.

So i put the disc (has MP3's on it by the way!' in the CD Drive anda pic of a disc appears and a new window pops up with the content.

Does this mean that the CD ROM drive is fine but it cant see the CDRW drive? Or what?

The CD Drive is the 1st drive on the ribbon in my PC. I would like to burn CD's so if 2 drives won't work then i would be happy with just the DVDRW. BUT i would like both if poss.

What should i do?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HELP!! PC Not recognising CD drive??

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:21 pm

well in Linux CD/DVD drives are not "the thing" it's the "content" the CD/DVD that gets mounted and hopefully visible on the desktop. When you remove the disc the icon disappears...
This is on the desktop - in "computer" you should see filesystem and both optical drives
How are the optical units connected?
As you don't have any IDE disks they could be alone on their own ribbon cable
Then they should be masters. If they are on the same cable the "first" should be slave and the "second" master. If both are master or slave lots of funny things can happen and it seems to me this is the case
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: PC Not recognising CD drive??

Postby andywest on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:03 pm

The CD ROM is the 1st one connected by ribbon i.e it's at the end of the ribbon. The DVDRW is 2nd in line then the ribbon goes of into the depths of the PC. I have just looked at the rear of the drives and both have jumpers in the same place! I'll see if they say on the drives where the jumpers should be, i assume the CDROM should be the master and the DVDRW the slave? If i make the DVDRW the slave will it then show up as a drive?

Loving this Mint!!!!

Cheers

Andy
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andywest on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:42 pm

Ok all sorted. I just realised what you said about the system recognising media when it's loaded like a MAC. I'm SO used to windows i think it's going to take a few weeks to get used to it but used to it i will as i love it!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mint Rules!
andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:02 am

:mrgreen:
This was a hurdle for me too - it's not that long ago I took the step from Window$
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support