AMD Geode Support

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

AMD Geode Support

Postby lotech on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:29 am

We are now seeing a stream of cheap and tiny sub notebook start flooding the market, some are using the new AMD Geode running at low clock rate like 500-900Mhz, I've seen some running XP quite alrite, I am not familiar with this new CPU type, I don't know how it compares with the Intel/AMD used in standard notebook, does anyone actually installed Mint to such thing ? it is quite tempting due to the price and size of them, the low power consumption together with the high efficiency of Linux OS will make a greener computing environment available to all.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: AMD Geode Support

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:12 am

I have not installed on one but I can say that as it is a x86 cpu it should be possible in theory if you have enough memory - you'd need a minimum of 300 to 350 for normal operation of the main edition while the fluxbox edition may only need some 150 MB
And then for a normal install of course some 3GB disk as a minimum
Someone may go below by the use of "tricks"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: AMD Geode Support

Postby lotech on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Some come with 8G SSD and 512 RAM I think enough, but don't know how the CPU compares to P4 or similar, it is running at low clock rate but we can not judge by that as it is a new design....
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support