Which PDA?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Which PDA?

Postby rcdeacon on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:20 pm

I have a Dell Axim x3 PDA which is giving me a fit connecting. Is there anyone using a palm based PDA with Evolution or is there a relatively simple way to get this Dell Axim to connect? I appreciate any help with this. I am trying to ditch all my ms dependent stuff.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Which PDA?

Postby Tony G on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:19 am

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rcdeacon on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:05 am

Anthony, are you able to get your E2 to sync? I would be wiling to purchase an E2 if I knew it would work with Evolution and Gnome Pilot (or perhaps multisync).
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Slocker on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:16 pm

I've had a Palm TX and worked well with Evolution. The major problem I saw it was that, for example, when synchronizing calendars, instead of creating one calendar per event, for example, birthdays and tasks, you have all in the same calendar, so later you have to order that, or distribute. The contacts were... well it didn't worked quite well. It imported them, but with fields alterated, and no photo is tranferred. Finally that's one of the greatest problems, you have to hand-mount the SD card in order to transfer files. The rest worked quite well.
Alex Slocker
Slocker
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Tony G on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Yes, it syncs. A little buggy, but nothing unbearable. Sometimes the sync process hangs (either while backing up databases, if I have that enabled, or on the to-do list, if I don't. But a cancel and re-sync then works). Make sure to add the pilot applet to your panel, or you'll have to open gnome-pilot to sync. Despite the annoyances, personally I find Evolution in Linux preferable to Palm's desktop software in Windows (Palm's still good--I just like Evo better; don't bother with Evolution in Windows, though--ick!)

Help on getting it set up can be found by clicking on help > contents in Evolution, then searching for "GNOME PalmOS Synchronization Tools." I didn't use the advice here, but it also may be useful.

Is getting a pocket PC to sync that hard? (Can't say I'm surprised, but that sucks).

Best,

Anthony
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

--Carl von Clausewitz
Tony G
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rcdeacon on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Anthony, there is supposed to be a way to get a pocket pc to sync and it is on the ubuntugeek website but I could not get the job done. Most of the process worked but I could not get it to connect. Thanks for all the help on the palm based pda's though.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Hardware Support