Power Management

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Power Management

Postby Matters on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 pm

OK,

So I am running MINT on a laptop that used to run XP but now dual boots Ubuntu and Mint (soon to remove ubuntu as it was only for playing WoW and now I can play WoW in Mint).

The laptop is only 2 years old, is a rebadged MSI with an pentium 1.86 M chip in it, 2 Gb of RAM, 128MB graphics card and enough HDD space.

The problem I am having with Mint 9and Ubuntu) is that when I shutdown the computer doesn't actually turn off, it goes thru the whole process but doesn't power down. Something happens, ie, I get the shutting down splash and the lights on the front flash like it is shutting down but all I am left with the the splash screen and then I have to hold in the power button for five seconds.

I didn't have this problem with XP and distros like Mandriva or PCLinuxOS shut down fine.

Any suggestions?
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Power Management

Postby Nibes on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:31 am

Hello,

That happens to me too.

Also with Ubuntu Gutsy, Ubuntu Hardy, and LM Daryna. The only thing that works for me is the hibernation.

I had read some solutions about it, but they just didn't work for me. The only thing I know is that every time I enable my Nvidia restricted drivers in a fresh installation i get this problem. If I work with the vesa driver I am able to power down.
I still wait for an upgrade to fix this up. or someone who has a solution that works here.
with a cup of Mint tea.
Nibes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Power Management

Postby Matters on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:40 am

I didn't realise it was the restricted drivers, in fact I have not had this problem when using those restricted drivers in Mandriva or PCLinuxOS
Matters
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support