USB Device - Not Usable. Shows USB Encrypted

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
x-b0t

USB Device - Not Usable. Shows USB Encrypted

Post by x-b0t »

Hey Guys!!

I've been using Linux Mint since a few weeks now and some how it has managed to destroy my 2nd 32GB USB Device. :x :x :evil: :cry: :cry:

After a certain period of usage on Linux, USB Device somehow ends up Encrypted and thus, useless. Linux Mint detects the device but am not able to transfer file or format.

Same thing happens when I connect the device on other laptop with Windows 8. When I hit Format a message pops up, Unable To Foramt. USB Device is Encrypted. This has never happened when I was using Windows OS.

HELP! :( :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: USB Device - Not Usable. Shows USB Encrypted

Post by Laurent85 »

Did you try to create a new partition table using gparted ?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Are these sticks full-specification famous-name devices that you took out of a sealed packet, in which case they have failed within their guarantee period and can be replaced without charge...
...or...
Are these sticks 4GB reject chips reprogrammed to look like 32GB that work just long enough for the vendor to scarper?

As a guide, retail TDK 32GB LoR costs UK£15.00 with a 1-year we-don't-care-why-it-stopped-working-here-is-a-replacement guarantee.
x-b0t

Post by x-b0t »

@Laurent85 : I used GParted just a few minutes back. I tried to delete the partition and convert the USB Device from NTFS to FAT32, shows Libparted Bug Found : Unable to apply changes to /dev/sdb.

GParted showed something like this :

Process 1: Deleteing partition complete.
Then, Process 2: Converting failed.

I gave it one more try again without deleting the partition and I think it might work. GParted did show the above message again but actually is applying both the changes this time.

I will get back to you once the changes are/are not applied.
x-b0t

Post by x-b0t »

@Laurent85 : Ok. So its been 2 hours now and GParted is still Operating. Does it take this long to convert a Encrypted USB Drive? Should I wait longer?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Can't you just overwrite existing partition table since all data are lost ?
gparted -> select your flash drive -> Device -> Create Partition Table -> table type msdos -> Apply
Then create a new partition.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Your USB devices are not encrypted; they are simply broken and their contents resembles encrypted data.

It's extremely unlikely that Linux Mint did this to them. I think Mute Ant is right. I bet they were very cheap.

I would try overwriting them using 'shred' or 'dd'.

Return to “Storage”