Windows 8 mount issue, but no more windows to fix it

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Feeshta

Windows 8 mount issue, but no more windows to fix it

Post by Feeshta »

Hello all, Linux newbie here. I recently had a very unpleasant run in with hacking, and as a result my PC is currently in a rather unusual state. I tried to clean install windows 8 after having repeated problems with 7 due to it being an upgrade disk, but was unable to get the PC to boot from either a DBAN wipe disk or the Windows 8 install disk and ended up doing an install from the desktop. After finding out that Microsoft wanted me to pay an additional $99 to add Windows Media Center(which I already paid for in windows7) in order to use my HD Homerun Prime, I started looking for alternatives. One of those alternatives I decided to try was Mint. This was almost by default, as my PC currently will not recognize any bootable media I have tried so far other than Mint. I have no idea why. I tried DBAN to wipe my drive, Windows 8, and standard Ubuntu before Mint, and none of them were recognized, but for some reason Mint worked. I have a new Motherboard, CPU, and Memory on the way to start fresh with, but while I wait I'm giving Mint a test drive and trying to get it working.

I've run into a rather major roadblock in the form of the "unable to mount location" issue that seems to be common in Windows 8 dual boot situations. I have a problem though, as I have browsed a half dozen threads on it and the solution is always the same. Change the setting in windows. Well, I would love to do that, but I clean installed Mint on my C drive and wiped out windows 8 after Mint refused to load onto a partition alongside of windows. I also do not have the capability to re-install windows at the moment, as the PC will not recognize the windows 8 disk as bootable media and simply boots right into Mint.

So is there any way around this problem so I can at least watch my DVR backlog while I wait? Netflix doesn't seem to work in Mint, so I'm kind of stuck without access to my storage drive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows 8 mount issue, but no more windows to fix it

Post by Kalyk »

Hello and welcome to this forum!!

You don't say anything about your hardware but I'll try an answer anyway.
When going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 you need UEFI and secure boot, but I don't hear you talking about your BIOS-settings. So there I see a reason why booting the Windows 8-install doesn't work.
Then I hear you talk about installing from the Desktop, but what desktop did you have left?

When you have an update-version of Windows 7 then you might install the system that was your base before update, probably Vista? After that you can use the update to go to 7.

- So go into the BIOS and turn of secure boot (if it's there) and (U)EFI.
- Install Vista
- Upgrade to Windows7
- Install Mint on an extra partition and choose the disk (/dev/sda or similar) for the bootloader (not a partition).

Or skip the whole Microsoft-stuff and look in this forum for a way to make your boot work.
When you search in this forum you will also find ways to get Netflix working on Mint.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Windows 8 mount issue, but no more windows to fix it

Post by Mark Phelps »

As an alternative, the Windows 7 forums (sevenforums.com) has a tutorial on how to clean install Win7 from an Upgrade disk. If you want Win7 back, suggest you go there and read their tutorial.

Return to “Storage”