1 out of 3 NTFS partitions missing on a volume

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kake555

1 out of 3 NTFS partitions missing on a volume

Post by kake555 »

Hi, new to Linux Mint. Boots in 3 seconds, WOW, and everything works out of box!

But this is weird:

I have a 4 TB volume. Previously, I used it in 32-bit Windows XP which lacks proper support for 4TB volumes; I had to do some shenanigans to get it work, and it finally needed to be split in three NTFS partitions which kind of sucked but worked.

On 64-bit Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE edition, the drive shows up like this (see attachment):
ntfs_problem.png
As it is showing as unallocated, I cannot mount it, but there really is a third NTFS partition there which shows in Windows XP.

Caveats: I haven's really tested this drive in Windows XP on this particular hardware so there is a possibility it's something that the linux can't deal with at all because of motherboard/BIOS.

Any ideas, similar experience?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: 1 out of 3 NTFS partitions missing on a volume

Post by Pierre »

kake555 wrote:Hi, new to Linux Mint. Boots in 3 seconds, WOW, and everything works out of box!
Previously, I used it in 32-bit Windows XP which lacks proper support for 4TB volumes
Any ideas, similar experience?
LinuxMint is similar to win_xp, in as much as the 3Tb / 4Tb HDDs are not recognised properly.

- usually only win_7 can recognise these HDDS correctly
but: having said that - there are a few Linux O/Ss that will recognise them correctly.
- not sure which ones, they are.

like win win_xp - it's a driver issue, although with Linux - that is generally contained in it's kernel.

and typically, these HDDs need to work with an associated usb connector as the usb bit does the sector translation.
ie: you probably will have issues in connecting them directly to a SATA port on the mobo.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kake555

Re: 1 out of 3 NTFS partitions missing on a volume

Post by kake555 »

Sorry, forgot to mention; the disk is directly connected to a SATA2 port on the motherboard.

Return to “Storage”