UUID definitions in fstab

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

UUID definitions in fstab

Post by pashabear »

Hi, this is from an old post of mine, but the issue remains (ran into it again with Elyssa):
If UUIDs cause problems, why are they put in fstab? If defining them with the simple /dev/hd... labels works better, why isn't this the default? I don't have tech knowledge here, just asking what seems like an obvious question to me.
And Clem's reply:
It's a decision Ubuntu took and something we haven't look at here in Linux Mint. I'm sure there's a good reason. I'll look into it, if the reason is not good enough, we'll revert fstab to normal denominations in Cassandra.
So, wonder if this issue can be revisited?
Thanks
pb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: UUID definitions in fstab

Post by Fred »

pashabear,

There are very good reasons for using an unique partition identifier. Preventing name collisions is the biggest one. There are currently two ways of doing that, Labels and UUIDs. Of those two methods I prefer labels, though they would present some implementation obstacles for the installer.

I can't speak for Clem of course, but I would be surprised to see Mint go back to legacy partition identification. Some kind of unique identifier is here to stay. More and more distros are beginning to use them, as they serve a real need in todays storage environment.

Fred
Husse

Re: UUID definitions in fstab

Post by Husse »

@ pashabear
I remember you had enormous problems even though this was almost a year ago :)
I fear you have to resort to editing fstab again .....

Return to “Storage”