[SOLVED] Cant edit fstab

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doman18

[SOLVED] Cant edit fstab

Post by doman18 »

I use Mint 4 for few weeks and i think that its the best distro for beginners as me. But in last 3 days it just pissed me off!!

I wanted to install brother dcp 115c printer drivers but probably smthg went wrong and i coudnt load login screen after reebot. Beacause i didnt have time to look for solutions i simply reinstalled linux. I tried to mount od /home according THIS instructions and i did this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /home /old_home
sudo mkdir /home
sudo mount /dev/hdb3 /home
kdesu kate /etc/fstab

Cannot connect to X server
I looked for solutions on ubuntu forums and tried...

xhost +local:
but then i get smthg like this...

cannot open ""
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cant edit fstab

Post by Acid_1 »

I don't know if it's right, but here's what I'd do (Fred knows way more) Make sda1, sda2, and swap. sda1 is your os hd, and then when you install mint, put sda2 mount in /home/username.
doman18

Re: Cant edit fstab

Post by doman18 »

No, you dont understand. I had swap, hdb2(/) and hdb3(/home). I formated hdb2 and installed mint. Now hdb3 is not /home because new /home is on the hdb2. It's common (i think) situation after reinstalling linux. I tried to unmount new /home and mount hdb3 as home because i have all my data there

//EDIT
Instead of "kdesu kate" i used

sudo nano /etc/fstab
and after i changed /media/hdb3 to /home beyond line /dev/hdb3 i pressed Ctrl+o to save and all works great!

Offcourse all this was in recovery mode because after manipulations with /home in terminal i couldnt log in.

Return to “Storage”