Linux Mint unable to mount partition after resizing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phelenon

Linux Mint unable to mount partition after resizing

Post by phelenon »

I wanted to shrink the windows partition and increase the D drive.I slept and forgot to plug in my laptop and I dont know if it was completed or not.So today I woke up and when tried to open D it gave me the following error:"Sorry, could not display all the contents of "Data": Error when getting information for file '/media/phelenon/Data/zorin-os-6.3-core-64.iso': Input/output error" I opened Gparted and everything looked normal.Is this because my partition is nfts.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint unable to mount partition after resizing

Post by Mark Phelps »

Well, basically, it's because you used a Linux utility on a Windows filesystem -- but it's more than just messing around with NTFS partitions using GParted, because that's not enough to cause problems. Starting with Vista, MS changed the internals of NTFS as it is used in their OS partitions, to the degree that using any non-Windows utilities on these risks corrupting the Windows boot process.

You might be lucking and it's just an example of the "dirty bit" being set on the NTFS partition and Linux, in order to prevent "further" filesystem damage, refusing to mount the partition.

What you need to do is run CHKDSK on that partition -- which you can only do from MS Windows or a Windows utility boot disk. One of the best of the latter is the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD, which you can get for FREE. Download the ISO, burn the CD, boot from it -- and use the option to Check the filesystem.
TJGeezer

Re: Linux Mint unable to mount partition after resizing

Post by TJGeezer »

I had the same D-Bus problem so I downloaded MiniTool Partition Wizard CD (it's up to v8 now), burned the ISO with Brasero, booted to it and watched it come up... in Linux. Made me smile.

Linux or not, it worked. Both the little fallback NTFS partitions I'd set aside just in case, are readable now. GParted team, take note - if MiniTool does that under Linux, GParted could too. Presumably. (But what do I know?)

Anyway, thanks for the only tip I came across that was both written in readable English and actually worked. Now I'm finally out of Windows. Gotta fix Grub and let VirtualBox or PlayOnLinux run any Windows program I need. POL even runs MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint right from the desktop, though I like Libre Office just as much.

And now I have accessible spare NTFS partitions sitting there empty but accessible. Made so by MiniTools running under Linux. Yup - still makes me smile.

The free ISO can be accessed by links at http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html if anyone else needs it.

Return to “Storage”