Unable to mount an NTFS partition [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Unable to mount an NTFS partition [SOLVED]

Post by dollyp »

I hope someone will be able to help with this problem. I am dual-booting Mint Mate and Windows8 on my laptop. On my hard drive I have a data partition that is formatted with NTFS so that it is readable by both OS's (this is not my /home partition). This arrangement did work OK for a while but recently, I presume after a session on Win8, I have been unable to access this drive from Linux.
Unable to mount Data-ntfs {partition name}

Error mounting /dev/sdb4 at /media/david/Data_ntfs: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb4" "/media/david/Data_ntfs"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.
I have booted up and shutdown Win8 several times with no luck and fast restarting is disabled. I have checked the partition in Win8. Is there a way that I can clear whatever 'flag' is preventing Linux from accessing this partition? Alternatively, how will I be able to delete the partition? (All the important data is copied elsewhere so I can 'kill' it if necessary).

Regards
David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
d4vidsc

Re: Unable to mount an NTFS partition

Post by d4vidsc »

same is happening here.
sometimes i can access the hd and sometimes not. just now it happened and i didnt understand 'cause i dont even started windows. i just turned on the pc and it went directly to linux mint. maybe is when i turn off on windows SO but i just dont know how to solve. need some help too.
WharfRat

Re: Unable to mount an NTFS partition

Post by WharfRat »

dollyp,

There's a fast boot feature in windows that has to be turned off. According to the error message:
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

There's more information here: [url]http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html[/url]

Good luck :wink:
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unable to mount an NTFS partition [SOLVED]

Post by dollyp »

WharfRat wrote: There's more information here: [url]http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html[/url]
Thank you for your reply WharfRat. Option 1 on that page did the trick.

Regards
David
Denny963

Post by Denny963 »

Hmm its a very nice sharing and workable discussion i will try to follow thanks for sharing....
squirebug

Post by squirebug »

Thank you very much!!

Option 1 worked for me wit Windows 8.1.

I am not sure why, but I got the failure to mount message only after I had gone back and forth between Win and Mint about 3 times.

Best regards
Herb

Return to “Storage”