Automount is not auto mounting (not really?) [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angrydog

Automount is not auto mounting (not really?) [SOLVED]

Post by angrydog »

Hi there,

Just dual booted my laptop with Windows and Mint/Cinnamon. Looks great. However, I'm having a problem with mounting an internal drive.

I have two internal drives, one I use for data. It is NTFS. I'd like to be able to access this drive from both windows and Linux, which are installed on the other drive. For example, I have Thunderbird mail folders stored on the data drive, and have Thunderbird setup on both Windows and Linux, using the same message store.

I note that the Disk Utility provides my with GUI options for mounting drives. This is great. From the File Manager, the data drive mounts OK. I can see it, and access files that way.

For info, the drive is mounted at: "/media/user/D2 Data"

However, when I start up Linux and run Thunderbird, it can't see the data drive because it hasn't been mounted -- there's nothing under "/media/user" at that point. But if I run the File Manager, the drive is then mounted and then Thunderbird can see it, and suddenly it appears under "media".

I'm not an expert here, but I note that "/etc/fstab" does not appear to contain anything pertaining to my drive.

Any way to mount the drive without having to run the File Manager first?

Cheers

Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Automount is not auto mounting (not really?)

Post by altair4 »

Yes indeedy,

[1] Do not use the Disks utility.

[2] Run the following command to find the correct UUID number for your NTFS partition:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[3] Create a mount point outside of /media/user:

sudo mkdir /media/D2-Data
I have purposely avoided a space in the name.
[4] Edit fstab:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
[5] Add the following line at the end of fstab:

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/D2-Data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
Change the UUID in the line above to the one you found in step [2]
[6] If you currently have the partition mounted unmount it.

[7] Then run the following command to test for errors in fstab and if there are none mount the partition to it's new home:

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
angrydog

Re: Automount is not auto mounting (not really?) [SOLVED]

Post by angrydog »

Perfect. Well done!

Return to “Storage”