Create a free space

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
S_V_S

Create a free space

Post by S_V_S »

Hello Minters,

I'd like to create a free space in my 500 gb disk, in order to install there an emergency os, such as Debian, or even other ones, I freely accept advices.
So, I don't know how to reduce my partition...

Now it's all up to you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: Create a free space

Post by kurotsugi »

shrinking a partition generally is a bad idea. the better way is delete an old partition then create two partition from it. you can do it via gparted
S_V_S

Post by S_V_S »

But I have one single partition, how can I duplicate it ?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

Only by backing up your data and then starting from scratch with a separate /home partition. Otherwise, if you can't back up your data, consign all of your present data to the bit-bucket, mark it all up to experience, and make the change as soon as possible so that you are not losing future data.
jahid

Post by jahid »

you can shrink your volume with gparted too. I never have had any problems shrinking my volumes. in that way you don't need to back up your data, you can just make a partition from the remaining space of your previous partition, it's easy.

i even shrinked my c: drive in windows 8 without having any problem running windows.

this feature is in the "move/resize" option in gparted.

and gparted is included in the live dvd.
S_V_S

Post by S_V_S »

oh thanks! I think I have to follow the gparted way by Jahid, because I didn't even know some words used by cwsnyder , such as scratch.
I'll keep you informed.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

you can create a copy of your data in /home to external drive as a backup. after that you can create all needed partition. it might also a good idea to create separated /home partition as suggested above. in this way you won't need an emergency OS. shrink a partition on considered save on lvm. even if you've heard someone succeed doing it on general ext4, there's no guarantee it will work for you too.
S_V_S

Post by S_V_S »

“Non è possibile creare una nuova tabella delle partizioni quando sono presenti partizioni attive. Le partizioni attive sono quelle in uso, come un file system montato o uno spazio di swap abilitato.
Utilizzare le opzioni del menù Partizione, come «Smonta» o «Disattiva swap», per disattivare tutte le partizioni su questo device prima di creare una nuova tabella delle partizioni.”

For who don't understand italian language, this means that I am using all of my partitions
Take a look at them
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

if you do it on my way, backup your data, delete that partition then create new partition. if you want to follow jarhid method, shrimk that partition then create new partition.
S_V_S

Post by S_V_S »

ah Kurotsugi, I think you're right and I don't need an emergency OS
even because I can't modify anything
I'll keep all of my most valuables datas backed up and safe and keep a flash drive loaded and armed with Linux Mint

Return to “Storage”