Problems with Blank DVDs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ripleycon

Problems with Blank DVDs

Post by ripleycon »

Hi. I'm new to Linux Mint, but i like it so far. However, after burning my first data disk with Brasero, I cannot do any other. Whenever i insert a new blank DVD, Mint tells me that it is unable to mount the blank DVD because the location is already mounted. I am using Linux Mint Petra 32-bit on a Dell Inspiron 9400 (Philips DVD-RW drive). Can anyone tell me how to get past this error so that I can continue to burn optical discs? I have tried restarting (warm and cold) and was not able to find a thread concerning this problem in the forums (DVD turns up too many posts in the search options to display and unmount turns up too many unrelated to DVDs).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Problems with Blank DVDs

Post by jahid »

i saw this error yesterday when burning the LM 16 dvd to a dvdrw. but this changes nothing at last. the final result is just fine.
but there is an option whether to use all spaces (selected by default) or leave space open for further burning. if your problem is this then you need to uncheck this option befor starting burning to be able to further burnig to your disk.
ripleycon

Post by ripleycon »

Nope. This problem seems to be Linux Mint needing to unmount the first blank DVD after ejecting. The first DVD I burned showed up as a data disk on other computers, something it wouldn't do if needing to be finished.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Brasero

If all else fails - like brasero tends to do - try xfburn or k3b instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
DrM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DrM »

In Xfburn I miss the verify-option which verifies that the disc has been burnt without write-errors. While this feature has been incorporated in Brasero, K3b and in many other disc burning programs like Nero and CDburnerXP. Why does Xfburn lack this important feature and will it be added in the next version of Xfburn?

And will installing K3b on a Linux Mint Xfce system trash the system with all the KDE libraries which are installed together with K3b? And are these KDE libs loaded into memory during the boot process of Linux Mint?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Add these two lines to the end of yon file: /home/[USER]/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

x-content/blank-cd=brasero.desktop;
x-content/blank-dvd=brasero.desktop;

You can now go into your File Management Preferences and on the Media tab set blank DVDs and CDs to open with Brasero. It worked for me. I no longer have to reboot after burning a disk.

Another option is to find and kill the still running Brasero process after a burn. The above is cleaner.
$ pidof brasero $ kill PID
ripleycon

Post by ripleycon »

Thank you. For all it's issues, Brasero can include and burn network files, while k3b cannot. I will endeavor to figure out how to make these modifications. :)
ripleycon

Post by ripleycon »

Never mind. Found out how to display hidden files and change them with text editor. Neither option you offered worked (File Management still won't give me an option of what to do with blank media). But thanks for giving me something to try. :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

Just keep in mind that Brasero was always an application with problems. Since i started using Linux in 2007 There were already many topics with issues/problems Brasero related. Nowadays Brasero still has problems and issues.

Xfburn and K3B are very good replacements and much more stable than Brasero. There's also a QT-based burning application available worth trying: http://getsilicon.org/features/
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

You're welcome. Yes, Brasero can be finicky and has its problems.
ripleycon wrote: Neither option you offered worked (File Management still won't give me an option of what to do with blank media). But thanks for giving me something to try. :)
Are you running Mate or Cinnamon? The edit I used for the mimeapps.list is for LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and it works for me on 2 PCs. I'm guessing Petra uses the same file for file type associations but not positive about this.

In any event I'm surprised the kill command doesn't work if you have the right process ID. It's a workaround but it saves having to reboot to burn a second disc every time.

:?: :cry: :)
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

Did I miss the solution to this problem in k3b? How to I get the first disk unmounted without rebooting?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Banzai Beagle wrote:Did I miss the solution to this problem in k3b? How to I get the first disk unmounted without rebooting?
This is an old post, no one is "watching it". You'd be better off starting a new one. :)
Banzai Beagle

Post by Banzai Beagle »

Roger wilco.

Return to “Storage”