Can't mount my uncleanly unmounted NTFS partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teacher86

Can't mount my uncleanly unmounted NTFS partition

Post by teacher86 »

when enter to my files i show this message please help me :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Can't mount my uncleanly unmounted NTFS partition

Post by WinterTroubles »

Hi teacher86.

The first step is to ensure that your windows system was shutdown fully when you turned it off, if it is only suspended or hibernated then linux effectively sees it as active and therefore won't mount it. You also need to check that you don't have fast restart enabled as this effectively hibernates your windows system rather than fully shutting it down. I can't remember where the fast restart option is located unfortunately as I've never run a windows system with that option, I'm quite sure that a quick search with your windows version and 'fast restart' should provide the answer though.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Some folks get this message when they try to access a partition from Linux that was previously being used in Windows 8. That is because Win8 uses a new form of default hibernation that keeps all open partitions still mounted -- even when Win8 is NOT running.

If you're running Win8, you have to disable FastStartup, or this problem will keep happening.
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Mark Phelps wrote:Some folks get this message when they try to access a partition from Linux that was previously being used in Windows 8. That is because Win8 uses a new form of default hibernation that keeps all open partitions still mounted -- even when Win8 is NOT running.

If you're running Win8, you have to disable FastStartup, or this problem will keep happening.
This.

And don't try anything else on the NTFS partition until you've booted back into Windows 8.

Return to “Storage”