Help Mounting DVD<SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capio

Help Mounting DVD<SOLVED>

Post by capio »

Asus: UX32LN
8MB Ram
1TB HDD
nvidia gforce 840
Mint17 KDE 64bit

I formatted a blank dvd and given the Label 'LinuxUDF', i put dvd in external dvd (dev/sr0), and disc mount automatically at:

' /media/capio/LinuxUDF', and can see in dolphin, all fine so far.

I unmount from konsole with:

'umount /media/capio/LinuxUDF', again no problem.

However when i try to mount again from konsole with,:

' sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/capio/LinuxUDF', i get,

'mount: can't find /media/capio/LinuxUDF in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'

Why can i not mount it

Thaanks for help

Capio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help Mounting DVD

Post by austin.texas »

You can't find /media/capio/LinuxUDF because it does not exist.
When you unmount the DVD the mount point vanishes.
If you want a mount point to persist, create a mount point with sudo mkdir /media/capio/LinuxUDF
Then take ownership of the mount point - sudo chown $USER:$USER /media/capio/LinuxUDF
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
capio

Post by capio »

Hi, thanks your reply, i suspected that was the case, however i do not really want to create new directories each time i connect a device as we change usb and dvd devices many times sometimes with different labels, and also devices can be re-written many times with different labels.

When the devices are auto-mounted with udev, they are mounted in the directory /media/capio, with the label name (ie /media/capio/LinuxUDF), LinuxUDF being the label name in this case, several devices can be auto-mounted such (see screeshot), this is very convienient and logical.

When I list the contents of the directory /media/capio in konsole again I can see all device directories together and this makes it very easy to manipulate files between devices from the command line. (see screensshot).

However if i unmount a device and try to remount, (from the command line), it cannot be mounted back this way, as you say because the mount point /media/capio/LinuxUDF has dissapeared, and i can only mount at media/capio, (without the label), and if I try to mount other devices in the same way i cannot see them all together in konsol, making it almost impossible to work bewtween devices from the command line.

Is it not possible to mount devices from the command line in the same way that they are mounted with udev (auto-mounted), so that they all appear in the directory /media/capio/ as sub directories (with device label)

Thanks your help

Capio
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

If all you want to do is mount it somewhere, use the command

Code: Select all

udisks --mount /dev/sr0
That will mount at /media, not /media//capio
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
capio

Post by capio »

Hi Thanks, thats great.

I am just finding my way around linux at the moment so not even heard of udisks before, but reading up on it now.

Cheers :D

Return to “Storage”