Mount external HD-error

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Mount external HD-error

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 »

I have a Seagate 400GB external HD I use for Backup/Media Storage. When I connect it and try to access it from Mint I get the following message:

"Cannot mount volume.
Unable to mount the volume 'SEA_DISK'.
Details
$LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0,0) Failed to mount 'dev/sdc1': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one cation:
Choice 1: IF you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly. Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line: mount -t ntfs -3g /dev/sdc1 /media/SEA_DISK -o force Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file: /dev/sdc1 /media/SEA_DISK ntfs-3g force 0 0 "

Not sure what I want to do. I would like this drive to mount whenever I plug it in/turn it on. That's it. Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Mount external HD-error

Post by AK Dave »

You had that drive connected to a XP computer sometime in the past, yanked the cord without disconnecting it PROPERLY, and the drive is still flagged as being "in use" by the other computer.

Figure out what computer you did this with. Reconnect the drive. Disconnect properly. If it won't let you, perform a FULL SHUTDOWN of the XP computer WITH THE DRIVE STILL ATTACHED and then yank the cord only when the power is cold.

IOW: follow the f'ing instructions already given you above:

Code: Select all

disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly
Then it should mount properly on Linux, but again you MUST unmount it properly every time you disconnect it. Failure to "unmount" or "safely remove hardware" will result in this being a repetetive cycle of deja vu all over again.
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

No need to get hostile. This drive has never been attached to an XP machine. It is attached to a Vista machine and always unmounted properly ( I would be stupid not to there is valuable data on it). I guess something went wrong with the "Safely Remove" option in Vista. I will try unmounting it again from Vista.

EDIT: Just tried to unmount it again in Vista and remount it in Mint and it worked. Thanks.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Vista instead of XP. Sometimes you can click on the "Safely Remove" thing and it won't do its job. Sometimes the only way to get it to work reliably is to select "Safely Remove" and then perform a full shutdown to cold power-off before disconnecting.

I have a computer at work that does this to me routinely with my external hard drive, and I won't know it has screwed me until I get home and Mint refuses to connect the drive.

Sorry to come off hosile.
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Not a problem...

I would much rather be using XP but I don't have the extra cash nor feel the need to get it. Vista does what I need Windows to do (virtually nothing) and for 99.99999997% of my work I use Mepis, Arch, antiX, and/or Mint. I can pick and choose and like them all!

Return to “Storage”