hard drive--help!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amateur

hard drive--help!!

Post by amateur »

Hello! I'm a little new to Linux. I've tried EarOS and Slax on the Live CD's, and just tonight, I installed Mint Fluxbox. (I chose that one because it seemed rich in features, and I liked the GUI.)

Mint just seems to have a slight problem: I cannot access files I placed on my hard drive using Windows. With other distros, I was able to access files I had on my hard drive. With the Slax liveCD, for example, I was able to access PDF files I had stored in My Documents, and listen to my AAC audio files, too.

With Mint, however, I cannot see any files I created with Windows. I had to cut my hard drive into partitions: the Windows part uses NTFS, and Mint uses ext-3. So, my computer has split-personality disorder; two different operating systems that cannot see each other.

This came as a nasty surprise, but I understand that there are solutions available. One of the things that impressed me when I set up Mint is how helpful the Linux community is. I could not gotten through the installation without somebody helping me through step-by-step via IRC.

I hope somebody can help me with this. Thanks!

(P.S. There is some helpful information on this site: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php. Now if only someone could translate for me....)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: hard drive--help!!

Post by revdjenk »

Welcome!

Have you tried computer>file system...? You should have a listing something like xxGb partition, with the xx being the size of the Windows partition you made. Click on this and you should enter into that "other" world.

God Bless
Doug
educateme

Post by educateme »

I tried that. I don't see it at all.

When I open up Partition Editor, I get two error messsages: "failed to mount Vista Hard Drive" and "failed to mount HP recovery". Those are the two partitions that came with my computer.

The problem, I suspect, is that those two partitions use NTFS, and linux uses ext3. If somebody could help me straighten this out, I'd be much obliged.
Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

Find the program "Gparted" in your menu. It is a partitioning tool. Open it and post a screen shot of your partition table.

Fred
educateme

Post by educateme »

Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

If you want a one-liner to do this all at one time in the terminal it is below. Just copy and paste, once you have corrected it for your user name of course. There are no returns in the below line.

mkdir /home/fred/Windows; sudo echo "/dev/sda1 /home/fred/Windows ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

When you reboot you should have a folder in your /home directory called "Windows" that will give you access to your Windows partition.

amateur,

I didn't mean to neglect you. If you will post your partition table as I asked educateme. I will try to help you too. :-)

Fred
educateme

Post by educateme »

Thanks, that helps!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

It helps? Is that not what you wanted? I have been know to misunderstand. :-)

Fred
educateme

Post by educateme »

It helps that now I able to see my files using linux. But I have a question:

How do I move Windows from /home/jay/Windows to /home/Vista? I'd like to rename it to Vista and put it in my /home folder (instead of my "jay" folder).

P.S. I am amateur.
Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

Ahhhh... ok you are the same person that started the thread. Sorry, my Alzheimer's is acting up. I should have asked you where you wanted the folder etc. too, I just assumed...

I don't know what GUI programs you have installed so I'll do it all in the CLI.

ok... open a terminal and type:

sudo sed '$d' /etc/fstab > /etc/fstabN && sudo mv /etc/fstabN /etc/fstab

mkdir /home/Vista; sudo echo "/dev/sda1 /home/Vista ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

Close the terminal and reboot. You should now find your Windows partition in your /home/Vista folder. If you do, open a terminal and type:

rmdir /home/jay/Windows

That will delete the unused Windows folder I had you make by mistake. Close the terminal and you should be good to go.

Fred
educateme

Post by educateme »

It works!!

Thanks
Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

You are welcome. If you want a little more meat as far as what we were actually doing you might want to look at the thread below that I just put up.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred

Return to “Storage”