Fix mount point for NTFS USB Drive (yes I did RTFM)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: Fix mount point for NTFS USB Drive (yes I did RTFM)

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and welcome to Linux Mint. Congratulations on your efforts so far, it's obvious you've tried to solve this on your own (the best way to learn in my opinion). Firstly the crucial stage in your process is actually the fstab one, you shouldn't need to worry about udev or automounting, so if you can I'd revert those changes as one of those may be interfering with FUSE (you'd need to edit you fstab to reflect this too). Now I haven't used windows for a long time, so I'm not completely familiar with the problem, but I can think of a few things to try to help narrow down the issue.

Are you a member of the fuse group (see users and groups, or type groups in a terminal)?
Is "allow_others" commented out in /etc/fuse.conf? (If it is, does uncommenting solve the problem)
Can you mount it manually using the following command?

Code: Select all

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/zephyr /media/zephyr
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Fix mount point for NTFS USB Drive (yes I did RTFM)

Post by Husse »

This should be possible to do with UUID - somewhat simpler
Remove the previous changes
With the USB drive connected run blkid (or possibly sudo blkid) in a terminal
You will now find out the UUID for your USB drive - the quotation marks around it should be disregarded
The mount point is always a folder so create a folder with the name you want - I guess zephyr - put it in home if you like
Then edit fstab

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
Add a line like this
UUID=youruuidwithoutquotes /home/your_name/zephyr ntfs rw,user,exec,auto,async 0 0
This means that when you connect the disk it will be mounted in zephyr
I don't know if you need auto and async - at least auto is dispensable

Return to “Storage”