Get rid of UUID!!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Get rid of UUID!!

Post by Husse »

If you go through this subforum you will find numerous problems cased by UUID. Today my secondary computer did not boot properly, stopped at a root tty, the same as in recovery mode.
Why - because I had a failed install of Gentoo that messed with the partitions and thus changed the UUID of one partition.
(Sorry folks a t Gentoo but your installers suck)
I'll go through the many installed Linux and remove the UUID in all of them (in time)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Get rid of UUID!!

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:If you go through this subforum you will find numerous problems cased by UUID. Today my secondary computer did not boot properly, stopped at a root tty, the same as in recovery mode.
It has it's place and purpose.
Husse wrote:Why - because I had a failed install of Gentoo that messed with the partitions and thus changed the UUID of one partition.
You used the graphical installer didn't you?
Husse wrote:(Sorry folks a t Gentoo but your installers suck)
I'll go through the many installed Linux and remove the UUID in all of them (in time)
The GUI installer is still pretty much Alpha and is severely broken. Read the install guide and look in the forums, the supported install is by following the install guide, NOT the GUI.

There's a lot of talk and I completely agree that the GUI installer is wasting Dev resources. The Gentoo online documentation is the best around, follow it. Personally I always do a stage one and boot strap the entire system. It's not difficult, just follow the documentation.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Husse

Post by Husse »

It - UUID or tty
Sorry for that :)
I've not seen any good use for UUID, and neither has Clem. But the latest kernel update (to 2.16.20-16) seems to go berserk without them in some cases - see
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2894
Yes I used the graphic installer because the text based was absolutely impossible to use!
It went in circles, stopped at select partition. When that was done and I wanted to continue it kicked me back to select partition, and I never got any further. Pity - it seemed to be an interesting distro
This was on my secondary, or test, computer so I can afford that it gets screwed up
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:
It - UUID or tty
Sorry for that :)
I've not seen any good use for UUID, and neither has Clem. But the latest kernel update (to 2.16.20-16) seems to go berserk without them in some cases - see
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2894
Myself call me old school but I like just using the /dev/xxxx
Husse wrote:Yes I used the graphic installer because the text based was absolutely impossible to use!
It went in circles, stopped at select partition. When that was done and I wanted to continue it kicked me back to select partition, and I never got any further. Pity - it seemed to be an interesting distro
This was on my secondary, or test, computer so I can afford that it gets screwed up
Like I said, it's very well known the GUI installer is very buggy and is not recommended or even the supported install.

What's so difficult about the cli install? Just follow the documentation

Here's a good procedure for a stage one install.

Stage One Install

I always like bootstrapping with a stage one install. I actually doesn't take much longer than the stage 3 and then recompiling, just do a stage one. I look at it as you would with building a house, build a good foundation.

What I love about Gentoo is I do my weekly updates and NEVER have to worry about major upgrades. It takes a long time to set up initially, but after that as long as you don't get crazy with OMG optimizations it's very stable and simple to maintain. Once a week I do "emerge --sync" and "emerge -avuD world", that's it. :D

But it is not a n00b distro unless you want to get under the hood and learn. What I set up for friends/family is Mint, it's wonderful. I have my 80 year old father on it and he's happy as a clam. Mint (and Vista ;-) ) has made it very easy to bring people into the light from the darkside. Clem has hit on the "right" balance, in the future I'd love to see Mint move from Ubuntu to basing on Debian.

My two bits worth
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

Return to “Storage”