SanDisk SD Card - Unable to mount location

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drake2k

SanDisk SD Card - Unable to mount location

Post by Drake2k »

I have an HP 6320 Laptop with built in SD card reader "SD MS/Pro MMC SM XD"

In Mint 6 it worked out of the box no issues. I plug any SD card in the slot and poof, I have a new drive on my desktop that I can pull pictures off of. In Mint 7 however not so much.

When I hope "Computer" it shows my CD Rom, My Hard drive and SD/MMC Drive. When I double click on that I get the error "Unable to mount location Can't mount file"

This is a fresh install out of the box no changes in configurations have been made. Main edition (Using Gnome)

Not sure what difference from 6 to 7 made to how the drive is handled but as I mentioned, The drive is good as it worked fine in mint 6.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: SanDisk SD Card - Unable to mount location

Post by lagagnon »

Insert the card, wait a few seconds and run the command "sudo fdisk -l" and show us the output.
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

lagagnon wrote:Insert the card, wait a few seconds and run the command "sudo fdisk -l" and show us the output.

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0007caff

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        3047    24474996   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            3048       30401   219721005    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            3048        3296     2000061   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6            3297       30401   217720881   83  Linux

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 3965 MB, 3965190144 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 121008 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000cb8b3

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

No One - please do not double post or hijack threads.
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

lagagnon wrote:No One - please do not double post or hijack threads.
eh?
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

Thank you however this didn't help. I looked at this thread earlier and tried the steps listed before posting. I figured it was different hardware hence why I posted a new thread instead of posting on to that one. I don't have a digital camara or external reader, mine is built into the laptop. Also it didn't appear as though this fixed the problem for the original poster.

If worse comes to worse I'll just down grade back to Linux 6 Felicia until a valid solution can be made.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

The output from fdisk which you posted above shows that the 4GB SD card does not have a valid partition or filesystem on it. Create a new partition on it and add a filessytem and you should be good to go.
Drake2k

SOLVED: SanDisk SD Card - Unable to mount location

Post by Drake2k »

lagagnon wrote:The output from fdisk which you posted above shows that the 4GB SD card does not have a valid partition or filesystem on it. Create a new partition on it and add a filessytem and you should be good to go.

Thank you for a straight answer. From this I had to wonder how then could I format it, if Linux will not see it. I tried gparted but it looked at me funny and laughed. So then (don't kill me) I took the card and put it in a windows machine. Low and behold it did not work there either. Then I said to myself...I know it worked on mint 6, so I booted my laptop with the live CD and got the same results as I did in 7. Well crap...It was working before but now it's not. I don't get it.

Since it wouldn't read in windows nor linux I put it in my digital camera. I got a card read error. Grr... So something messed up my card and I can't blame linux because It could have been any number of things. The camera did allow me to format the card and once I did that I was able to read the card just fine in any system. I lost all my pictures though.

So there you have it. It has nothing to do with it being a Sandisk removable device nor did it have anything to do with upgrading to mint 7. All is well except for the lost pictures.

Thank you for the help.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

You could make one last ditch effort to partition it using the command line program "cfdisk".
Insert the card, open a terminal, type "cfdisk /dev/???" . Follow the Help if you don't know how to use cfdisk or read "man cfdisk".
(Replace the ??? with the correct device name as shown from fdisk -l)

Then you need to format the SD card - if you will use it in a Window box do this: "mkfs.vfat /dev/???"
Billybob453

Post by Billybob453 »

when i went into terminal and typed that in, this came up?

Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders, total 117231408 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009d1cd

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 115156991 57577472 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 115159038 117229567 1035265 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 115159040 117229567 1035264 82 Linux swap / Solaris

what does that mean?

Return to “Storage”