automount 2 ntfs hard drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

automount 2 ntfs hard drives

Post by leo5111 »

im on mint 7 32 bit main edition how do i set the drives to automount?they are ntfs
/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
lrm /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /media/New\040Volume fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sdc5 /media/New\040Volume_ fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/leo5111/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=leo5111 0 0

thats mtab with both of them manualy mounted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: automount 2 ntfs hard drives

Post by miket »

Hi !

The /etc/fstab file is the way to automount partitions at boot time, an easy to follow guide is located here: http://www.nixtutor.com/miscellaneous/i ... -to-fstab/

Let us know how you get on.

MikeT.
leo5111 wrote:im on mint 7 32 bit main edition how do i set the drives to automount?they are ntfs
/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
varrun /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
varlock /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
lrm /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/sdb5 /media/New\040Volume fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sdc5 /media/New\040Volume_ fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/leo5111/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=leo5111 0 0

thats mtab with both of them manualy mounted
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

im getting feeling that getting a NTFS hard drive is a much bigger pain then automounting a ex3 hard drive so im borrowing my friends external to dump my stuff onto then convert my drives to ext3 will the method i desribe next still work? "Assuming you can see the volume ... right click on it, select properties from the pop-up menu, click on the volume tab and type sdb5 in the mount point (you may need to click on settings to show the mount point), then select close. Right click the volume again and select mount from the pop up menu.

Press alt+f2 and type

Code:
gedit /etc/mtab
this will open mtab in gedit ... the last line should be /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ......

Press alt+f2 again and type

Code:
gksu gedit /etc/fstab
this will open fstab in gedit.

Copy the last line in mtab and paste it as a new last line in fstab, save fstab and exit."
i used that way back in mint 4 and it mounted my drives
miket

Post by miket »

Hi !

Copying the line from the mtab file won't give you everything you need for the fstab file and may cause your machine
to stop at boot time and drop into single user mode.

Read carefully the information on that link I pasted before as it explains everything you need, you will need to set it to automatically mount at boot
time etc etc ...

Here is an example entry for you to consider :

/dev/sda5 /backup ntfs-3g auto,rw 0 2

MikeT.
leo5111 wrote:im getting feeling that getting a NTFS hard drive is a much bigger pain then automounting a ex3 hard drive so im borrowing my friends external to dump my stuff onto then convert my drives to ext3 will the method i desribe next still work? "Assuming you can see the volume ... right click on it, select properties from the pop-up menu, click on the volume tab and type sdb5 in the mount point (you may need to click on settings to show the mount point), then select close. Right click the volume again and select mount from the pop up menu.

Press alt+f2 and type

Code:
gedit /etc/mtab
this will open mtab in gedit ... the last line should be /dev/sdb5 /media/sdb5 ......

Press alt+f2 again and type

Code:
gksu gedit /etc/fstab
this will open fstab in gedit.

Copy the last line in mtab and paste it as a new last line in fstab, save fstab and exit."
i used that way back in mint 4 and it mounted my drives
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

ntfs-config was the answer. i found it in mint repos i installed it it looks for any ntfs drives you check box of drive you want to mount and check box says make writeable and reboot and it was mounted and useable :D
dredgman

Post by dredgman »

Awesome, this helped so much.
Fred

Post by Fred »

First, you do not mount hard drives in Linux. You mount partitions. NTFS partitions are no harder, or more complicated to mount than ext3 partitions. See the below Post.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred

Return to “Storage”