turn off journalling on ext4?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

turn off journalling on ext4?

Post by phd7 »

I am planning shortly to partition my new computer and just have a couple of question on journalling filesystems...

I have searched and found some excellent info (especially from Fred) but would still like to clarify a few general questions as I still dont know some basics...

If I download a film to disk, for example, is the same amount of memory used to journal the file?

Is is possible to turn of journalling on ext4 altogether?

A side question...if not possible, is shred now obselete~?

If not possible..Is ext2 still an option for formatting partitions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: turn off journalling on ext4?

Post by deleted »

Not sure why you want to turn journaling off.
But if you want fast deletes for large files, I've had great success with jfs. (j stands for journaling)
-Hinto
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

hinto wrote:Not sure why you want to turn journaling off.
-Hinto
rather than do data backups, I tend to save straight to an external disk anyway .
I want to cut down on memory where possible, and also disk arm usage.
Apart fron that i would like to understand more about journalling.
deleted

Post by deleted »

http://www.answers.com/journaling%20filesystem

From what I understand, it's more of a safeguard, rather than a backup. The above link is a pretty good jumping off point for an overview of journaling and different filesystems that use it.
That does bring up a good point, tho, do you need journaling, if you have raid?
-Hinto
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Thanks. I had glanced at that thread before, but ploughed through it tonight. I must do some more research on jfs. That should actually be a sticky for people with laptops. very informative and should be highlighted with Ubuntu- loaded laptops on the market now.

I just dont understand why there is no switch-off option. Interesting to see the criticisms of ext3.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

It appears to me you really want to know more about how journaling file systems work before committing. That's fine but "turning off" jounalling in a journalling file system is not the way it gets done. I have no interest in a discussion about the merits or otherwise of ext3 vs ext4 vs reiserfs vs jfs vs xfs vs "whatever other" journalling file system. Suffice to say, I think ext2 is the closest you'll get to a non-journalling version of ext4?! Welcome to the past! :)

Cheers,
Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Ok, thanks guys.

Return to “Storage”