[SOLVED] Two partitions taking a long time to mount

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shayney

[SOLVED] Two partitions taking a long time to mount

Post by shayney »

My disk is split into several partitions and I have 2 fat32 partitions for data which are auto mounted at boot.

During boot up I get a message in usplash saying it is waiting for the partition and that it isn't ready and I get these messages for both.
This ONLY happens with the fat32 partitions and no others.

By the time the desktop loads up they still aren't ready and since one of those partition contains various custom icons and my wallpaper, it means my desktop looks a bit iffy.
They do eventually mount and can be used normally.

I have done various disk checks and it is a fairly new drive and I do not believe there is any problem with it at all.
If I boot into debian sid or my previous mint install both drives mount normally with no problems at all but then go back to the current install and it's the same again.

I haven't found anything in any logs to suggest what the problem is but it is clearly related to this particular mint install.

Code: Select all

System:    Host shane-desktop Kernel 2.6.31-14-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (SMP) cache 1024 KB flags (sse3 nx lm svm) bmips 8016.86 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 2000.00 MHz (2) 2000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1680x1050@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce 7600 GS/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 185.18.36 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card nVidia MCP51 High Definition Audio driver HDA Intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.20
Network:   Card nVidia MCP51 Ethernet Controller driver forcedeth at port c800 
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 300.1GB (14.0% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC WD3000JS-60P 300.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 30G used: 16G (54%) fs: ext3 ID:swap-1 size: 1.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 151 Uptime 1:25 Memory 351.2/3023.4MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.6 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shayney

Re: Two partitions taking a long time to mount

Post by shayney »

Thought it might be useful to include my fstab entries for the partitions in question:

Code: Select all

UUID=4657-421F  /mnt/multimedia   vfat    auto,rw,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 	0       1

UUID=46FB-66C2  /mnt/shared	   vfat    auto,utf8,umask=007,gid=46 	0       1
Note they are mounted in /mnt rather than media. They are symlinked to /media to avoid them showing on the desktop.
Could mounting in mnt be the problem? Although this is exactly how it is done in my previous Mint 7 install.

<EDIT>
Nope, /mnt not the problem, tried changing them to mount in /media but still the same problem.

<EDIT #2>
The problem has now gone away after I changed the UUID entries in fstab to /dev/sda* entries.

Return to “Storage”