Is it necessary to install your OS on a seperate partition?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Is it necessary to install your OS on a seperate partition?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I saw a tutorial where root and home where installed on seperate partitions....what is the purpose of this? Does this allow you to use the same partition for all your files for multiple operating systems? Is that really necessary now that we have the import files option?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nick_Djinn

Re: Is it necessary to install your OS on a seperate partiti

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I dont mean seperate from your other OS, I mean separate from where your files and downloads go.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

No, it is not necessary! The only thing you need to install Linux is a single partition, you do not even need a swap partition!

The reason to keep your personal files separate is obvious. It makes the OS sacrificial and fresh installs are a breeze. You can also share a data partition between operating systems, including a Windows/Linux share! I do not suggest sharing /home though. Is it necessary? Only you can answer that! :wink:
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

It isn't 100% necessary to have separate root and /home partitions, but it makes reinstalls and/or upgrades quite a bit easier. By having / (root) on a separate partition, if you break your system and need to reinstall the OS, you will be able to keep all of your settings and data by reformatting root and NOT reformatting /home when you do so. You will need to reinstall the additional programs you added since your original install, but all of the settings for them will remain intact.

Fred's post here on the topic was very helpful to me: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872

Hope this helps...
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

That makes a lot of sense. I think I am going to put them on separate partitions from now on, as soon as somebody helps me with my screen going blank problem and the new release is out.

Return to “Storage”