(SOLVED) Vista not reading FAT32 drive

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cesar0094

(SOLVED) Vista not reading FAT32 drive

Post by cesar0094 »

I've been going back and forth installing Linux Mint Debian the whole day. My main problem is the partition that both Vista and Linux will share.
I have 4 partitions:

Vista OS NTFS
Linux-Vista ext2,ext3,fat32 (problem) contains /home
Linux OS ext4 contains /
Linux swap

Each time I installed Linux in the following situations, I chose dev/sda2 for /home and dev/sda3 for /.

I tried ext3, and installed ext2fs in order to read it, it wouldn't, tried the troubleshooting in the webpage and the mountdiag.exe did not work.
Then, I installed Linux again, fomatted the partition to ext2, trying to see if any other software could work. No.
Then, I made what I think to be a very primitive thing (which I am not proud of). I backed up /home in my NTFS, then with the Live CD formatted the partition to FAT32, then went back to Vista and it finally showed and could write on it (copied a couple of songs). But then, back to Linux, it was a mess since I was not able to restore the backup and a bunch of files were required so I needed to install Linux again.
Finally, I erased and formatted the partition to FAT32, installed Linux again, and the results weren't as planned. Linux works just fine, but when I went back to Vista, the songs were there, and no Linux archives at all. So, I just want Vista to sort of "refresh" the drive so both are synced. I am willing to install Linux again, I mean, it's new right now, I won't lose data, but Vista is the problem here. Any help or comment will be appreciated! Thank you Linux commmunity!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pranaone

Re: Vista not reading FAT32 drive

Post by Pranaone »

i got a bit lost in the middle, so in short your need to recover files from a fat32 system is it? Btw i wouldn't recommend mounting /home on fat32 filesystem. Because some windows antivirus scanner will falsely delete your linux settings/preferences which get saved there.
GSXR750L

Re: (SOLVED) Vista not reading FAT32 drive

Post by GSXR750L »

Return to “Storage”