Automounter configuration (Mint 10 Gnome x64)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blaisos

Automounter configuration (Mint 10 Gnome x64)

Post by blaisos »

Several hours of googling, talking to Archangel and alphur on the the forums and now I hit a dead end. As last resort I ask for help here.

I would like to achieve that the automounter uses the "mount -t ufds /dev/sdb3 /media/xylorimba" command to mount the hfsplus partitions.

The above command is an additional mount option that provides read&write access to _journaled_ HFS+ volumes in linux.
The software that makes this all possible is the free Paragon NTFS&HFS for Linux 8.1 Express.

Upon mounting the partition with the command

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t ufsd /dev/sdb3 /media/xylorimba
The volume mounts, and becomes writeable, but only by the superuser.
If I umount the volume, let nautilus do the automount and I try to write to the disk, I get the error message "You are trying to save the file on a read-only disk. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

I understand that adding the appropriate ufsd line to /etc/fstab would do the trick, but the volume is not statically mounted and it wouldn't be. It's an external HDD.
I also understand that having this line in fstab wouldn't do any harm, it would just perhaps slow down bootup. So this would be solution B.

Archangel and alphur suggested looking into hal, udev, autofs, gvfs & udisks. I'm utterly confused about these. Hal is now deprecated and is incorporated into udev. Autofs is used in Gentoo and now I installed it, but I don't see the point of having it. I came across mountmanager but it would only help editing fstab (as far as I understand it) and I also found /etc/mtab but this editing this file seemed pointless. (I gathered that it's maintained by the system, so there is no point modifying it)

Could some Mint Guru tell me where I can set the mount option ("mount -t ufds") for removable hfsplus devices, please?

I'm using Mint 10 Gnome (x64) on an 5 year old Amilo A1667N laptop and trying to mount a WD Elements HDD to the system.
The HDD is formatted using the GUID table, with 2 small FAT32 partitions at the beginning and an HFS+ Journaled volume spanning 1,8TB.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonasfh

Re: Automounter configuration (Mint 10 Gnome x64)

Post by jonasfh »

Hi Blaisos,
love your post, but I'd love even more to read an answer. Did you figure this out?

regards Jonas

Return to “Storage”