remove ntfs partition on mint10/vista laptop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olduser
Level 1
Level 1

remove ntfs partition on mint10/vista laptop

Post by olduser »

Hi I'm dual booting Mint10 & vista on a laptop with 160 GB drive and don't use vista any more.Can I format the Vista partitio to ext 4 and get all my drive back to mint, not worried about the Vista recovery partition at this time.

Looking at Gparted it looks like a continuous can I delete the NTFS partition and reformat or has the complete Partition got to be deleted and start again ? Or just resize the EXT 4 partition until it strangles vista :D

any comments welcome 70 years young olduser
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: remove ntfs partition on mint10/vista laptop

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hi olderuser,

In order to reallocate the space from Vista back to Linux Mint, you will need to boot the Linux Mint LiveCD and use Partition Editor (gParted) to make the changes. We have to use the LiveCD since you cannot make changes to a partition that is currently in use (since your Linux Mint partition is surely in use when running :D).

From Partition Editor you will be able to delete the Vista partition, and subsequently use that space by resizing existing partitions to occupy the space.
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

If I were you, I would only shrink the partition with Vista on it (and merge the unallocated part to the ext4 of course)
Reasons: 1. Vista can be used as an emergency entrance/exit to your HDD and 2. You have paid for it, haven't you?
However, if you follow my reasoning, it will be more difficult (shift the whole Vista-business to the front or end of the HDD & run MS-checkdisk) or even impossible to merge sdX1(rescue partition) with the existing ext4 partition.
So I hope you reach a wise decision.
olduser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by olduser »

Thanks guys
I thought I was on the right track but needed conformation So it by by vista Hello Mint 11

Think No more updates de fragging expensive anti virus Oh joy :D

just an aside The one thing I was going to miss on vista was my Kindle for PC !! So I'm Going to run XP in my VM box and run it there
Thanks again very old un
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

just an aside The one thing I was going to miss on vista was my Kindle for PC !! So I'm Going to run XP in my VM box and run it there
"There's an app for that" (Linux).
calibre

-DataMan

Return to “Storage”