Partition mess up

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaddawgTL

Partition mess up

Post by MaddawgTL »

Just installed mint and was moving info from windows partition to mint. Once that was done I tried to repartition the windows part and get rid of jolicloud partition. Now I have no clue how to fix things. :(

Was trying to make windows partition into a data storage and fold the jolicloud partition into mint partition. Complicated I know,how do I do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TinyTony

Re: Partition mess up

Post by TinyTony »

Hello,

I don't understand exactly where you are with your data and partitions...

Anyway, if your data is on the Linux Mint partition and if you have an external copy of it (recommended), the good software to handle partitions is Gparted. If you do not plan to touch the Linux Mint partition and just want to resize - move - delete - create other partions, run it from Linux Mint (it must be in Control Center). At least, it will give you a clear view of the current state of your partitions. If you need to change something with the Linux Mint partition, boot from LiveCD and make your changes with Gparted from it.
MaddawgTL

Post by MaddawgTL »

I was moving some movies and music from windows side to mint. I tried gparted and that is where I messed up,the old windows partition is unusable and that is what I'm trying to fix. Mint sees it but will not do anything with it,gparted sees it but I have no idea what to do now. Yes this is my first time using linux and yes it is a royal screw up. I'm a bit out of my depth now,should I look for gparted help or what?

Also how do I make mint a bit quicker on a netbook ( asus 1005ha eeepc seashell ).
jparks8808

Post by jparks8808 »

I am having a similar problem:

Finally got Mint11 installed on my own computer. Windows is quite the piece of work. Spent the last couple of days just getting this far. Of course, this machine has been around the block, probably had all manner of viruses and such.

Quick question (hopefully) I just got it installed, but I noticed I only have access to half my hard drive. Installed GParted, gave me two partitions, one obviously Mint (/dev/sda), and one labeled 'unallocated' (/dev/sdb) Something strange I noticed during installation of OS this time was that unlike the first time I went through this process it didn't give me the option of replacing the old OS (Windows Vista) or installing side-by-side. Instead it said that no other OS was detected and gave me the option to wipe the drive or create/edit/delete partitions. I checked to see if I could do anything in the latter option, but when it would only let me play with 150Gb which is half the total size of the HDD I chose to wipe the disk. Now I can create a partition table on /dev/sdb through GParted, which will wipe and I would assume allow me to use it, but it gives me many options of what kind of table to create MS-DOS/AIX/AMIGA/etc and I'm currently unsure which I should choose; though that bit of information should be easily found. Just want to make sure that this is the correct path to take. I wouldn't mind leaving Vista with like 10 gigs of extra space to use for a few UbiSoft games and what not (if I can't run those with Wine, haven't played with that at all yet), but if I can't access it then there isn't any point.

Any advice is, of course, greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is staying healthy and having a great day!
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

MaddawgTL wrote:I was moving some movies and music from windows side to mint. I tried gparted and that is where I messed up,the old windows partition is unusable and that is what I'm trying to fix. Mint sees it but will not do anything with it,gparted sees it but I have no idea what to do now. Yes this is my first time using linux and yes it is a royal screw up. I'm a bit out of my depth now,should I look for gparted help or what?

Also how do I make mint a bit quicker on a netbook ( asus 1005ha eeepc seashell ).

It is easier to view the graphical representation of your partitions.
You could run Linux OS, run gparted, take a snapshot of gparted image, identify what you want to keep and what you want to remove, resize.
Then it is easier to provide instructions.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

jparks ... Might be better to start your own thread.

Maddawg, helps when you clearly describe more about your problem. If people have to play a game of 20 questions to help ya, many won't bother doing it. Though a bunch will try too, just makes it easier for everybody when you help them, help you. By clearly describing your problem or what you're trying to do. Also one question/thing at a time imo applies for you too. Tweaking whichever Mint someone has and a partition problem is two diff issues after all.

Now for some of my patent pending babbling and attempt to help or share some stuff Ive learned that might interest somebody.

Try downloading gparted live, or parted magic ( which has gparted live on it.) You can also do it with the install disk for Mint you have, which no doubt has gparted on it too. Though, then there's mounting/unmounting partition/disk ... blahblah involved. Mint can see the partition, but gparted likely won't touch it, because the disk is in use at the time ( mounted). Gparted live and parted magic run from RAM, thus you can do whatever ya like to the partitions on a hard drive. Using the live disk to do it from what I've seen isn't hard either, though haven't done it myself. Have always just done it the lazy way and used Parted Magic to mess with partitions.

Does help to know how your partitions are laid out. In LM ( gnome ), you can fire up gparted, maximize the window and hit the PrtScn ( print screen) key to take a screenshot. Unless somethings changed, dunno. Then post the screenshot for people to see how your drive is laid out. Many progs to take screenshots, likely one already installed on your Mint OS. With a default shortcut to take a screenshot.

Ya can also open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
( that's a lowercase L there.) Will list info about your partitions and can post that for people to look over.

If I'm getting what you're saying, you want to turn that windows partition into a data partition ( a place to store stuff for LM) and o course access it when using Mint. With gparted live, parted magic any decent disk util ... fire them up. Select the partition you want, format it in a linux file system, ext3, ext4 ... etc. There you have it ... done. That's assuming you don't wanna resize it or do this and that. Which also isn't rocket science, gparted is extremely easy to use if someone looks around the controls for a couple mins.

You likely want that data partition to automount when you boot Mint. Of course you could also mount it manually in a couple secs when ya wanna use it, but that's a PITA. So how to automount a partition when your pc boots ?

Fred and this thread he started, covers that pretty well.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Return to “Storage”