gparted question

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

gparted question

Post by mickel »

Whenever I start to mess with my partitions I always get a headache and put it off. This time I am really serious, though and hope to get an answer to a couple of questions that I can't find anywhere.

If I use two or more Linux distros on the same drive, can I partition one /home and /swap to serve both or does each hda1-hda2 etc. have to have its own swap and home? Since I like Mint 4.0 Daryna best of all and use it all the time, I still like to test drive other models just for fun, but up to now I have had to hard disk install, test drive, and then re-install Daryna when I finished. This is fun of course, but it is time consuming, so I am wondering if I could try new editions by just installing the root part and leave the home and swap partitions as well as Daryna alone. eg
hda1=Daryna
hda2 =Mintfluxbox
hda3=/home
hda4=/swap

If anyone could help me out on this or have a better suggestion I would appreciate it . Incidentally Mint Fluxbox rocks !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: gparted question

Post by deadguy »

you can share swap amongst different distros. I do it and it works fine.
but trying to share the same /home I think would make a mess of things.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

deadguy is right, you can use the same swap partition, but the home partition is a little tricky, sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, your best bet is when you install what ever distro you want to test, just let it install the home on the same partiotion as the root partition, that way there is not the problem of your Daryna settings messing up the setting for whatever you are testing, and when you remove the test os, and install another test os, you don't have to worry about all your previous settings messing up your new install.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickel »

Thanks guys I'll try it.

Return to “Storage”