Not full control over FAT32 folder solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Not full control over FAT32 folder

Post by Husse »

If you have a "lock" it means Read only and in normal circumstances it's put there to prevent several applications from making changes at the same time, which of course can be detrimental (to say the least :))
Should not happen on a "win partition" I think
How is the partition mounted?
What's it used for?
Can you look at the properties and tell us what you find
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Can you post the output of this command (in a terminal window):

Code: Select all

% cat /etc/fstab
Copy & paste to avoid any typos!
FAT32 usually will be mounted as root owned, or read only, you most likely have to edit some options in fstab :) It would be better to use NTFS or ext3 as shared (NTFS is supported as read write by default in Daryna, if I remember correctly, ext3 support can be "downloaded" in XP).
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

I see that MagnusB has made a classic error
The % should not be there - apart from that it's correct
If you get such an error message it's pretty clear that % is what's wrong
Another way of doing this is to open /etc/fstab for reading and copy the content
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Sorry, I always use % when I give more than one line to indicate a new line, sorry about that, old habit die hard, and Husse is completely right, the % is not a part of the command..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Hey, I have a similar problem ! I thought I solved it a few days ago by modifying my /etc/fstab file with such lines:

Code: Select all

/dev/hda5 /media/hda5 vfat auto,user,exec,rw,utf8,umask=000 0 0
but now I have a strange behaviour (bug ?):

When I first start Mint, I have full access to my FAT32 partition, I can read/create/delete any files and folders in it. But after I launch some program accessing that partition (Firefox, Thunderbird, Opera all share theire profiles between Linux and Windows) all folders become read only, and a lock appears on them in nautilus !?
What the heck is that ? I was able to use them freely for a few days and now it locks everytime ! :shock:

Any idea ?

EDIT: well, don't mind, I think I have found the reason... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=553864 :cry:

Return to “Storage”