linux mint (nfs) - NAS - (smb) xp

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vishcompany
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint (nfs) - NAS - (smb) xp

Post by vishcompany »

Hello everybody,
After several attempts to switch to linux, I finally feel well with linux mint, that I want to stick to it.
However, it will not be possible to abandon windows completely, as there are two applications, which only exist in the win-world.
Therefore I decided to set up a NAS as a central data-storage and access it either from the xp-pc via samba or from a lovely little via pico-itx based pc, which is amazing in terms of power consumption / performance. On this machine linux mint is running and I connect to the NAS (Raidsonic NAS-4220) via nfs.
I use the opera-mail-client and configured it in a way, that emails are stored on the NAS. The idea is, that I can access my emails from both machines.

It basically works, the only problem is, that all the data, which is written on the NAS from linux/nfs is specified like this:

Code: Select all

NAS-4220> dir
drwxr-xr-x    2 1000     1000         4096 Jan 27 17:48 test6
Thus, when I start up opera in xp, the emails are shown as blank lines in the list.

When I run
chmod -R 777
on the mails-store, everything is fine, but I wonder, if there is a possibility of a more carefree solution.

I tried
umask 0
but either it has no effect (when I set it manually), or it is not accepted (I tried it as a parameter in fstab)

I'm thankful for any suggestion.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: linux mint (nfs) - NAS - (smb) xp

Post by Husse »

I feel a bit like walking on thin ice here - not my domain
I have to sort things out
You have one pc with Mint and one with XP and they share a NAS and the NAS runs Mint
Connection between the boxes is done with nfs
Is this correct?
Then the first question is how do you achieve nfs under Windows. nfs is Linux
Samba is normally used in mixed Win - Linux environments (but can be really hard to configure)
The second question - how are the disk(s) in the NAS mounted?
The problem here is who owns the files - I think
This may be completely wrong, I've never encountered problems with a NAS before :)

Return to “Storage”