Installing Brother HL2280DW All-In-One <solved>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Installing Brother HL2280DW All-In-One <solved>

Post by katalia369 »

So as stated in the subject I am attempting to make my Brother HL2280DW function on the Linux computer. The device is a multi function print/scan/copy that is wireless and available to my whole network. My husband's Windows 7 and my Motorola Droid Mini both connect and print fine, as well as my nephew's iPad, so it seems to be fairly cross platform friendly.

First things first (copied from system info)
Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64-Bit
Cinnamon 2.4.8
Kernel 3.13.0-37-generic
AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850B x2
Memory 3.9 GB
Hard Drive 919.1
Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GT218 (GeForce 8400 GS Rev 3)

I did some reading before I started trying to install this printer. I found out that Brother has .deb packages and is Linux friendly with a minimal hoops to jump. Downloaded the CUPS and LDR files and tried to manipulate in the cups http://localhost:631/printers page. However, that didn’t work as it wouldn’t accept my user name and password, repeatedly. So then I found the installer from Brother and thanks to some info from user VTV47 that was posted I managed to get through the first few steps. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6#p1030766

I made it as far as specifying the device URI, which apparently I did correctly as the test page printed. However the install didn't stop at this point as my brother is also a scanner and copier so the scanner is attempting to install now. Most of the process is automated by the install file provided by Brother. However it is now asking for an address as well specifically:
enter ip address ->

:?: Okay I think that means my router/internet IP address which I know. But I don't get why it would need that information? Or is this just another way of asking for the same address the printer needed to connect via the network as well? I am going to put in my internet IP address in to see if it works but it was a bit mind tripping to see a scanner asking for an internet IP when the self same machine didn't ask for the same info for the printer. :shock:

Kat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
katalia369
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing Brother HL2280DW All-In-One

Post by katalia369 »

It still isn't working.

I can print, it's awesome. I can't scan, which blows because as an artist I try to get high res scans of some of my works online...
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Installing Brother HL2280DW All-In-One

Post by Pjotr »

This should do it (both for the printer and the scanner feature):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”