Network printing

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Network printing

Postby Suncoaster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:26 am

Hi, I have a Canon Pixma iP6600D printer connected to my computer running Mint-15, and I am trying to setup network printing from my wife's computer running Xfce-mint-13. When i try add the printer via the printer setup utility using the "Windows printing via Samba" option I can select the printer but cannot access it, I get an authentication error. This has only started to happen since I installed Mint-15 on my machine, it worked fine on Mint-14. I have checked my smb.conf and it appears to be ok, and it worked in Mint-14 so what is different in Mint-15.

Any help would be appreciated
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Network printing

Postby altair4 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:31 am

I'm not sure why you are using Samba to access printers between linux machines but you might want to look at the [printers] share definition in smb.conf and change guest access from no to yes:
[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = No
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = yes
create mask = 0700

FYI: You can access the CUPS server directly and bypass Samba - if you are interested:

When you go through the Add Printer utility access the Mint15 printer via ipp by entering the location in the "Enter device URI" box in one of the following formats:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Network printing

Postby Suncoaster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am

I have tries both Cups and IPP neither of which worked, both get to about 18% processing and then stop with a message that the printer is disconnected which is not true as I am able to print from my machine. I normally use Cups to connect printers and until this version of Mint I have not had a problem. Both options find the printer during setup but that's as far as it gets. Samba was really a last resort and it also finds the printer but it then fails as well. I guess I will keep looking for an option that will work.

Thanks for your help.
Suncoaster
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Printers & Scanners