SOLVED Brother MFC-J430W will not print

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

SOLVED Brother MFC-J430W will not print

Postby southernpride1865 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm

The printer is/seems to be installed and identified, I highlight/select it, and nothing seems to happen? I know I am doing something incorrect, but I don't know what! Ran the troubleshooter, followed the directions given, tried to print a test page, and nothing happens.

Query: will it print a test page itself (such as when you install a printer in Windows and it prints out a test page) or do I have to select something and try it that way? Did both (tried to print an email from Tbird) and got neither.

Query: does Linux have "Plug and Play" in which I can just plug the USB cord into each end and the system will automatically identify and do whatever it is supposed to do, or is this all "manually done" in Linux? I know that is "windows stupid", but PnP is convienent as heck for people with memory issues like me.

thanks

Additional info: I can go to system settings-printers-localhost and it shows my printer there and enabled. Click on Properties and see the same. I go to Thunderbird and try to print something and it will take me to the print dialog box where I have two options-print to file or it clearly shows my enabled printer highlighted with the words "rendering completed" behind it. I choose my printer and not "print to file" and hit "print". the little dialog box comes up that shows the info being transmitted to the printer (like Windows), and normally, the machine would start to print whatever I had sent over. In this case, it does notthing at all. All wire connections (it is a USB cord) are in good shape and connected securely.

Running a dell optiplex 620 with a P-4 3.4 gig processor, 2 gigs RAM, plenty of hard drive space, a Brother MFC-J430W on a 32 bit system with linuxMint Olivia. I have tried the Brother website for Linux drivers, but I do not understand Linux terminology yet (CUPS, etc.) so I have no idea of what I should be looking for, and there are a great many options for drivers and I don't know if they are applicable because, quite frankly, I am lost and do not have the slightest clue why this will not work.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks (again!)
Last edited by southernpride1865 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chemistry stems from adventurers of the mind, fashioning theory and technique in harmony.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Brother MFC-J430W will not print

Postby nomko on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:57 am

ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Postby southernpride1865 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Crazy! I went to the brother website and even called their tech support, and was told that Linux drivers for my machines were not available.....and yet there they are-plain as day!

So, I am going to the link you (nomko) gave and clicking on the driver I need, and we will see what happens next!

one last question (for the moment!). Other forums I am a member of have a system in place by which you can "reward" other members for their support, good advice, or just plain helpfulness. How do we do that here? Because there are a few who have some major kudos coming their way as soon as I figure all of this out!
Chemistry stems from adventurers of the mind, fashioning theory and technique in harmony.

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Postby southernpride1865 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Anger. Frustration, Hair-pulling out. Throwing things and cursing. Acting like a damn fool. Getting laughed at by my kids, who refuse to help, because they say it is time the "old man" gets with the times.

I followed the link, which took me to the brother driver download site. Chose the correct driver to download and was directed to the license agreement screen, to which I agreed. I chose the "mfcj430cupswrapper-3.0.0-1.I386 deb" package and was then given the choice to open with Gdeb package instaqller (default) or "save file", which went to "downloads".

First, I went with the installer which opens, does its thing (I tried both the "open" as well as the "extract" options on two separate attempts) and it shoots me the status: error-dependancy is not satisfiable-mfcj430wipr. Clicking on the "details" tabs says "priority/section/installed size not available KiB"

Then I go with "save file", which just sends it to the downloads section, with the same procedure as above being required, with the same results.

prior to this entire fiasco, I can go to settings and see that my printer is both recognized as well as enabled. After I did all of this, there was a second copy listed there as well. I tried both of them, with no results. the dialog box comes on and indicates that the information has been sent to the printer (with both the "test page" as well as me trying to print something at random from TBird), it shows up in the print Q and a pending job, but IT WILL NOT PRINT.

my laptop (Cyberpower custom-built gaming machine) which is still running Win7 prints perfectly from both wireless as well as with the USB, so I am guessing that it is NOT the printer itself or the cables/connections, it is something that I am not understanding or doing right.

Also, I did the "Command: gunzip Linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1.gz" command from the terminal, never received a "su" or sudo su" request command, tried the "Command: bash Linux-brprinter-installer-1.0.4-1 Brother Machine Name" .....nothing worked.

the damn thing is there, and I can see it, but I cannot get it to cooperate with me because I don't understand if I am entering the commands correctly or what in the hells I am doing wrong. So, I am going to my "fall-back" position, which is (contrary to popular belief) that if you throw enough money at a problem, it WILL get fixed! my first thought was to take the entire machine to my "local" (25 miles one way) computer guy, toss it and a couple of high denomination bills down on his counter and tell him to call me when it was ready. the only problem is that I built this thing myself, and it is not really confined to a tower, giving a new meaning to the term "computer desk", so it is a major pain to transport.

Screw it, I'm on my way to Staples to buy a new HP. And I would like to make it perfectly clear that Nomko and everyone else has offered outstanding and valid advice and suggestions, which were, are, and will continue to be highly appreciated! the fault lies strictly with me and my inability to understand relatively simple instructions combined with an unfamiliarity with the new system. We wll see what the HP does, I guess!

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Postby southernpride1865 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, I went down and got an Epson WorkForce pro WP-4530 because the guy assured me that it was compatible with linux. Get it home, out of box, and all set up, look at the docs, and see that there is not a single mention of Linux. Great! throw that disc away! Went to the Epson drivers page, find the driver that is needed, get it installed, and.....nothing. or I should say-same thing. Printer shows up, is enabled, dialog box shows that the info has been sent successfully to the printer, and it just sits there-nothing prints. frustration does not begin to describe what I am feeling!

I understand that it is considered to be poor form to contact others without an invitation here, but would it be possible to get some real-time help here to walk me through this? I will wait as long as it takes!

thank you

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nomko on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 am

Hmmm.... normally Epson should work when downloading the correct driver and install them. However, HP devices work out-of-the-box and are well supported by Linux!
southernpride1865 wrote:because the guy assured me that it was compatible with Linux

You met somebody that doesn't look at you if you're from another planet when you mention Linux... Lucky you!!! :mrgreen: At least that guy could tell that Epson should work with Linux.

There could be another issue here, the printer you bought might be newer than what is supported by the kernel. But this should be fixed either by installing the correct driver or by updating the kernel.

southernpride1865 wrote:I understand that it is considered to be poor form to contact others without an invitation here, but would it be possible to get some real-time help here to walk me through this? I will wait as long as it takes!

I don't mind it if you send me a private message... Real time help...if you're so kind to buy me an airplane ticket from Amsterdam to wherever you live.... Ohh...and a place to sleep :mrgreen:
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

My personal website
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Re: SOLVED Brother MFC-J430W will not print

Postby southernpride1865 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 am

thank you for allowing me to PM you if necessary. I have the sleeping space! I used to be able to "arrange" things like plane tickets via mad computer skills, but I have chosen morals and ethics over convenience, so I don't do that anymore. Amsterdam, huh? I have friends there from other forums and hope to visit them one day. Bur Eire and Oz are first! oh well, maybe one day.....

southernpride1865
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Printers & Scanners