Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in..

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in..

Postby Metallo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi,

I am new to Linux, I installed 13 MATE.
I have spent the last 2 days :( trying to figure out why the printer that is shared on my home network does not print.
The printer is shared on a W7 network without any problem.
The printer is connected via USB to one of my W7 PCs.

Here the procedure I do to upload the driver:

Printing/Add/
Windows Printer vis SAMBA
Browse and immediately it finds my home network with all my W7 PCs and LINUXMINT Server
I click on LINUXMINT Server and it finds my printer
I click my printer and proceed to install the driver
Print Test Page: Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds...

Can you help?

Thank you
Alex
Metallo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Processing - Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry

Postby Metallo on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Anybody?
Metallo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akjames on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:17 am

I have a similer problem, but I used a mint machine for my print server and all the other mint machines see it and use it great(except my wife w7 laptop, which sees it but will not print). I dont have a solution but i have a sugestion: this os (mint) gets better with each new edition. saying that, i believe mint 16 is easyer to use than the editions before it. try 16 and good luck.

my post:

windows machine(vista) will not see printserver(mint16)

Postby akjames on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:40 pm
after a lot of tryouts, i decided to use mint for my printserver/wireless cloud storage system. Free nas had no print server and no wireless. mint i understand a little better. all my other mint machines see the storage and print on the printer. my wifes lenovo with windows 7 did not see it so i made a vista laptop to do the research and find the solution. To be clear on this: I am not trying to use a windows printer with my linux machines. I am trying to use a printer hooked up to a mint server in a dell e4300 running wireless, printing for a windows machine( a dell e4200 with vista).
i am not sure if the mint server is using cups, i did not have to configure cups on the e4300 and the printer seemed to fire right up after a visit to system settings.
I am not really good at the comand line, but im getting better. thanks in advance for any good advice.
akjames
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Metallo on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:25 pm

I hear you man, I am new to Linux and I have been suggested 13 because supported till 2017, which makes sense to me.

I have spent so many days trying to get the printer to work and actually I succeeded once, when I went to SAMBA and clicked browse without entering anything, it just found it and printed the test page.
That has been the only time, since then, I tried all possible combinations of addresses/host but believe it or not, every time a different error.
The error above is just one, I get the status error or even the keyring loop, it depends which address I enter to go to the same printer.

To be honest with you, this won't discourage me as a first time user, I see the potential of the system and I hope to succeed and get this printer to work.

Any other opinion/help is very welcome :wink:

Alex
Metallo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Printers & Scanners