Dell B1163W Unified Drivers

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dell B1163W Unified Drivers

Postby TruckBytes on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Having issues getting the dell unified drivers to run. My OS is Mint 13. Each time Itry to open as admin all I get is the screen shot I have attached (the untitled document1 is empty). Any advice?
Attachments
03.png
TruckBytes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dell B1163W Unified Drivers

Postby bobafetthotmail on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:32 pm

It's a safety measure. Scripts cannot be run from the user interface by default. (but can be run fine if called from the terminal)

Right-click on it and select Properties, then go in the Permissions tab, and select "allow this file to be run as a program"

Then on double-click it will execute itself without root privileges, and if you do that "open as root" thing, it will run as root.
bobafetthotmail
Level 4
Level 4

Postby TruckBytes on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:24 am

I tried several times but still not getting through. I get this messageafter entering my root (adim) password.
TruckBytes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TruckBytes on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:30 am

Forum isn't taking my images this morning for some reason. The message says I don't have admin permission even though I have successfullly entered the root (admin) password.
TruckBytes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cybermage on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:06 pm

For anyone else with this issue here's how to get this printer working.

Prerequisites:

Install CUPS, SANE and GHOSTSCRIPT using your favorite method.

The "Run as administrator" does not work for their app - it gives the launch script admin but the subsequent things it calls don't. So, open a scary terminal.

Change directory using "cd" into wherever you've extracted their driver software and run:

Code: Select all
sudo ./autorun

It will still likely complain about sane not being installed. If it doesn't, you're probably good to go here and can stop.

If it complains about sane, it won't install the scanner driver properly. To do this we need to trick the actual manufacturer's driver (Xerox) into recognizing the device.

sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf

In this file add the following line (we found these codes using sane-find-scanner) :
usb 0x413c 0x523d

This should get both the printer and scanner drivers working properly. This makes sane use the native SANE Xerox driver instead of the one that Dell fails to properly install.
cybermage
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tonywhelan on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:20 am

Folks

I bought one of these printers recently to use on Mint 15 (64 bit). But I simply cannot locate the B1163W Unified Drivers. Dell website has been a total waste of time, I can't find anything except Windows drivers for this printer. Can anyone enlighten me on how to ghet the drivers? (I wrote to Dell Australia a week ago, no answer yet.)

Tony
tonywhelan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Printers & Scanners