How to install Canon Network Printer in Mint 17

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alanjux

How to install Canon Network Printer in Mint 17

Post by alanjux »

Hi there
I have just installed Mint 17 alongside W8.1 and all seems well. However I cannot get Mint to 'see' my network printer, which is a Canon MG6150
I'd appreciate some help with this please...
Many thanks, Alan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to install Canon Network Printer in Mint 17

Post by coffee412 »

Hi Alan,

I just visited the cannon site (USA) and they have drivers available for it. There seem to be 2 drivers. One is for printing and the other is for scanning. They are available it seems in both deb format (debian) and rpm (redhat/fedora ect).

I would start by downloading both drivers and installing them. Alot of times for printers I get a tar or gz file when openned has a self install script that you run by making it executable (chmod +x <filename> ) and running it. That was my situation with HPlip.

I would think that during the install it will ask you some questions and find/setup your printer for you.

I dont have a cannon printer but run Brother printers here. So, Hopefully this is some help and perhaps others running cannon printers will add to this.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

Coffee - many thanks, but I am new to this. I have downloaded the files:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/010000301 ... deb.tar.gz
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/010000302 ... 0-1.tar.gz

plus:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/010000303 ... deb.tar.gz
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/010000303 ... 0-1.tar.gz

However, I do not understand if these are correct or how to install them - excuse my ignorance...

Alan
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Alan, I totally understand. Not a problem :)

What you do is if your using a graphical file manager like thundar or whatever then double click on one of the gz files and it will walk you thru 'untaring' it. Then there should be a readme file to explain how to install it. I know with brother you do not have to be root to install it. Depends on the manufactuer. Installing will not be that hard but I have not read the info on it yet but will take the time and post back. The only 2 files you need from your download are the scanner install gz file and the printer install gz file. Let me look it over and I will post back.

coffee

P.S. ---> You do not need the "source" file downloads.

Update: Ok, Double click on printer driver file you downloaded. It will create a new directory for it and put the untarred files inside it. In a term window as root you will change the permissions on the 'install.sh' file to make it executable like this:

(change to the new directory created when untarring the file)

cd cnijfilter-mg6100series-3.40-1-deb

sudo chmod +x install.sh

Then you want to run the file like this:

./install.sh

Make sure your printer is on of course before running the install. After you verify your printer works by a test page then do the scanner driver install pretty much the same way.

Hope this helps,

coffee
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

OK, the drivers appear to be installed, the printer is now detected when I add a printer but nothing happens when I try to print a test page.
If I revert to W8.1, then the printer works fine without and changes to anything.
Alan
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

install Canon 6100 series device with linux debian driver

Post by pdc_2 »

are you able to open a terminal Alan please?

If you click on Menu; at the bottom-left of the screen; and go up about 4 icons to the TV screen-like icon, it is the terminal;

to paste a command into the terminal, most find it easiest to use the mouse and the menu on the top line of terminal; ie start at File top left and move to Edit and then down to paste ....................

can you then paste this command into a terminal please; and then with your mouse copy the result; and paste it back here ..............
dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter

If I was installing a Canon Mg6100 series device, I would start here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal at the Canon Asia site and then end up here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... tml?r=s&q= at the Debian driver download site for Ubuntu/Mint

this a version 3.4 driver; so it needs libtiff4 and I would get that here ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff3/

at the Debian respository ..................I would go about 14 down the list to find the 64bit version; and about 18 down the list for the 32bit version; and by clicking it, gdebi installer should leap in and offer to install it .......... gratefully accept that offer ..

then from here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... tml?r=s&q= one downloads and SAVES cnijfilter-mg6100series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz

by pasting the commands that are listed below; into a terminal; line by line; hitting the ENTER key after each line is pasted ..............all should go good .............

cd Downloads
tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg6100series-3.40-1-deb.tar.gz
cd cnijfilter-mg6100series-3.40-1-deb
./install.sh

that final command should ask for the sudo password; the Canon debian driver gets installed;
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

Hello again and thank you for your replies. I followed what has been advised and thought I had it cracked - here's what happened:
The terminal screen informed me that it recognised the printer, I confirmed it was a network printer and it's name. It was then shown as the default printer and I thought all was well. However when I attempted to print a document, all the right things seemed to happen, the print window appeared to say 'processing' and the printer appeared to receive the data by also saying 'processing' on its screen. The 'job' appeared in the print queue momentarliy, but nothing was printed, the printer remained dormant and then both the printer and the print queue list just went back to 'idle', as though the print job had been completed... but no printing took place.

Oh, by the way pdc_2, when I enter dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter, it returns the following:

ii cnijfilter-common 3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1 i386 IJ Printer Driver for Linux.
ii cnijfilter-mg6100series 3.90-76~ubuntu14.04.1 i386 IJ Printer Driver for Linux.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it's only this printing issue that is stopping me from making Mint 17 my main OS and ditching W8.1
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Ok, I understand your pain. I would hate to be saddled with windows too! Especially 8.x whatever. What a waste of code :)

The printer communicates. Thats good. However, Its not printing anything. This as I remember might be because of a wrong driver or driver setting issue. If Iam not mistaken, The cannon printer file that you installed covers a range of printers perhaps. I would fire up cups (http://localhost:631) and change the driver model. Remember to restart cups after the change is made. Then try again.

Let me know what you find out.

coffee

PS --- Did you see this? --> http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... inux-mint/
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MG6100 series device

Post by pdc_2 »

for a first-time install; if one bought a Canon (MG6100 series) .............the device needs to be accepted by the router;

.............however with windows, the router and printer already talk ...............is that correct?

___________________-

as coffee suggests, what does CUPS show http://localhost:631/printers/ .........clicking on this link should open printer admin in your system
Last edited by pdc_2 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Canon MG6100 series device

Post by coffee412 »

for a first-time install; if one bought a Canon (MG6100 series) .............the device needs to be accepted by the router;

.............however with windows, the router and printer already talk ...............is that correct?

Do believe that the router doesnt care in linux. Its not really in the equation except that it hands out an address (if its doing dhcp) and routes traffic accordingly (routing). Thats it. So, Someone printing something, The driver basically says send this print job to <i.p address> and the router routes it to that ip address.

This will not be a router issue. Its some type of driver or driver setting issue. I remember having a HP that did this and had to change the driver to RAW printing I do believe. But we are dealing with Canon printers - Never did like them - and it could be different.

Since we are having an issue with the actual print job printing I would follow the link I gave and do what it says and do a re-install. Just follow the directions accordingly.

As a side note:
Its easy for people to say "I hate linux because this never works". In reality we all know its not the fault of the dev's that work on linux. Its the fault of the manufactuers for not supporting it better or at all. Therefore, One has to be careful of the hardware they buy. Now its too late to do that in this case so some tinkering must be done to see if we can get it to work. Never lose hope. These things can and often do work out. Its just going to take a bit more effort. :)

coffee
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

coffee412 and I are both sending you advice;

I think you have the drivers installed; I think the printer can talk to the router;

this command
/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
asks your system to list what printers are attached; perhaps you tell us that
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

Coffee & pdc_2

CUPS shows:

MG6100LAN (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default, Color-Managed)
Description: MG6100LAN
Driver: Canon MG6100 series Ver.3.90 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: cnijnet:/00-1E-8F-A3-47-58
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided
Jobs

Search in MG6100LAN:

Showing 1 of 1 active job.
▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
MG6100LAN-22 Set Default Options anonymous 1k Unknown stopped
"Filter failed"

I guess the interesting thing here, is where it shows STATE "Stopped - Filter failed" on the active job, but I do not understand what this means.

I have been through the printer's own settings menu but cannot find anything here that would have any effect - bearing in mind that the printer works fine when receiving a command from Windows 8.1

Alan
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

The command:
/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
returns the following:

network ipps
network https
network ipp
network http
network smb
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
network ipp14
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
network lpd
network socket
direct hp
direct hpfax
network cnijnet:/00-1E-8F-A3-47-58

Hope that helps
Alan.
CraigL

Post by CraigL »

I may be way off here Alan, but my experience with the Canon MG6350 model was very similar to the experience you describe. I solved mine by going into the "Synaptic package manager", selecting the 32 bit drivers instead of 64 bit for the MG6300 series, then going back into the Printers utility from the Menu button, where i deleted the printer, and re-added it again, except this time, in the "Make and Model" tab, i chose V3.90 and not the recommended one. Then it all worked for me.

If you've downloaded all the printer software i think you have, then you could try this...
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

Unfortunately I have had no joy whatsoever with installing this printer (Canon MG6150 mulitfunction) , despite many attempts and doing all that has been suggested.
Thanks to all who have tried to help, but the experience has left me frustrated with my 'new' Linux O/S and feeling that perhaps it is not for me after all :(
I cannot justify a new printer (and how would I know that one would operate?) and a PC without a working printer is of no use to me...
Looks like I must revert to Windows 8 - yuk!
Alan.
alanjux

Post by alanjux »

RESOLVED!
I ditched the Canon and bought an HP Photosmart 5520 all-in-one wifi printer for under £60 from Argus.
Fired it up, followed it's on-screen set up and it worked perfectly with Mint 17 straight away.
I'm happy now...

Return to “Printers & Scanners”